Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fix a loose center cap?

L48

OK I now have four rally rims and four center caps for my 75 Corvette. They all appear to be OEM pieces, but the center caps are quite loose.

I have tried them on more than one rim so I am fairly sure the rim is not the problem.

Is there any trick to fixing them or do I need to get caps that are new or less worn out? Or is it possible that not all center caps were created equal?

On my old caps I used pipe teflon tape in the roll just wrap it around and snapped it in.

Mine are original (except for one) and they are all really tight. I have to get them on with a rubber mallot.

Aluminum wheels? Two layers of masking tape wrapped around the cap lugs. Fold the excess into the cap. If too tight, one layer.

Mike

Masking Tape will work on them too!! 74BigBlock will seg. Duck Tape and that will work too!!;LOL junk!!
L48 said:
These are the steel wheels.

Thanks for the replies. I was having a hard time putting tape on my Corvette parts for some unknown reason. Last night I decided to make some adjustments myself. So I used some pliers to bend out the metal around the lip where the cap is secured to the wheel. This seemed to do the trick. Definitely not recommended for NCRS judging, but for my $6 center caps it worked fine.

Dab a little clear silicone on the mounting tabs and your caps will still be on after a 130 mph run!!

Randy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom