Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flaky Gas Gauge... It's baaaack!

MCMLVII

Corvette
BLACK 57, blu 15 vert
The first part of June the gas gauge on the 2004 C-5 started to jump from full to empty. The problem was a faulty card of some sort in one of the gas tanks. The part was on back order so I was told to keep track of mileage on the trip indicator and fill up when necessary. Not fun on a 2000 mile trip.

After three trips to the dealer, the transmission was dropped and the card installed. This was completed August 15th.

Last Saturday, I filled up the car and the gauge indicated "empty". (Funny thing, I got a Service Satisfaction Survey in the mail that day.)

Back to the dealer tonight. Can I expect this to continue?

Have a 4000 mile trip planned soon.

TIA

MCMLVII

What brand of gas are you using?

try adding chevron Techron to the gas mine will do it from time to time usually when I am on a trip and can't find Sunoco or Shell. I always set the trips when I fill up just in case.

Hi 1957 -

I heard that one time Shell put out a bunch of gas that had high sulfur levels, and that would mess up some fuel gages, but it was an "isolated incident" (probably means that the public rarely detect when this happens...:eyerole )

My trucks fuel gage started acting up around the time of that incident.

The truck one requires a new in-tank assembly at around $300....:eyerole :eyerole
That seems a bit high for a part that essentially is the same for a decade of chevy trucks....

I have just lived with it, but I would not do that on my vettes - it would have to get fixed and ASAP -

Take it back and make them fix it right.

good luck and best regards -

mqqn

This is probably the "card" they are referring to (the sending unit):
fuel001.jpg

If yours is acting up again so soon after replacement, I would suspect that either they failed to remove some contamination inside the tank, or you are using bad fuel. Either way, it should be a covered repair. Bring it back.

GL! :beer

mqqn said:
My trucks fuel gage started acting up around the time of that incident.

The truck one requires a new in-tank assembly at around $300....:eyerole :eyerole
That seems a bit high for a part that essentially is the same for a decade of chevy trucks....

Take it back and make them fix it right.

good luck and best regards -

mqqn
No not REEALY The unit in Tank Has Fuel Pump in it Now Day's!! The Problem now days is Cheep Junk that the part's made out of Composit Plastic that over time, That react with Petrolem Product's and warp!!! older reostat's were made with Bake-O-Lite and gas won't warp the Flat wound resister in Unit!! Keep tank Full during storage so unit is submurged in gas and it won't Dry out and warp reostat!! Mine would do this when I'd put it up with less than 1/2 Tank for a week or Two!! :upthumbs junk!!

Try the fuel cleaner BG44K. Not easy to find (try your search engine), but it all but cured the same problem in my 98. Used to do it every tankful after about 45 miles, and now does it only every couple of months. I am going to try another round with it and see if I can get it to go away entirely. In the meantime, the other suggestions to use Techron/chevron gas are good too..........this is a continuing problem with our cars. Look up all of the other threads here with those who have had this happen to them too.

Thanks, I'll try the BG44K after I get the car back. Hear it it good stuff.

I know there was a problem with the fuel system on earlier cars but it was supposed to be solved on the '04. Guess not.

On the first trip to the dealer, they had a C-6 up on a hoist with the transmisson dropped to fix a similar problem. They could not get the part they needed and the car was there for three weeks. The service manager had his shorts in a bunch because it had one of his bays tied up. I did not get the impression he felt bat for the guy who did not have his C-6.

Called dealer, this time it is the card on the other side. They have ordered a new one. Will pick up the car tonight so I have it for the week end. (back to counting mileage.)

Next week the transmission gets dropped again and we start all over.

gmjunkie said:
No not REEALY The unit in Tank Has Fuel Pump in it Now Day's!! The Problem now days is Cheep Junk that the part's made out of Composit Plastic that over time, That react with Petrolem Product's and warp!!! older reostat's were made with Bake-O-Lite and gas won't warp the Flat wound resister in Unit!! Keep tank Full during storage so unit is submurged in gas and it won't Dry out and warp reostat!! Mine would do this when I'd put it up with less than 1/2 Tank for a week or Two!! :upthumbs junk!!

Wow. I didn't think of that. Mine sits for long periods of time between drives. I'm making a mental note to keep it parked with a full tank- I'm pretty bad about not doing that.

bossvette said:
try adding chevron Techron to the gas mine will do it from time to time usually when I am on a trip and can't find Sunoco or Shell. I always set the trips when I fill up just in case.

I agree with adding Techron! (Walmart carries it.) So far, it has cured the false gas gauge readings for the two years I have been adding it every 3000 miles. (knock wood)

MsSchroder said:
Wow. I didn't think of that. Mine sits for long periods of time between drives. I'm making a mental note to keep it parked with a full tank- I'm pretty bad about not doing that.

Mine is a weekend cruiser. Before I put it away for the work week I make sure that I have at least 3/4 tank full. That and Chevron Techron or a tankful of Chevron Premium seems to work for me.

napacruzerC5 said:
Mine is a weekend cruiser. Before I put it away for the work week I make sure that I have at least 3/4 tank full. That and Chevron Techron or a tankful of Chevron Premium seems to work for me.
I use Chevron!! It's the only gas station in Town!!;LOL junk!!

The dealer replaced the card.

I just completed a 4,000 + mile trip from Michigan to New Mexico and back. Used all kinds of different gasoline. Had no problems.

Man I love that car.

MCMLVII

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom