Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

? for c4c5-GM repair kit-column lock

ROCKnROLL

Corvette
98 A4 Coupe Sebring Silver
88952427 is the number.
This comes with the relay, lock plate, and the directions.
Yes, I would only want the factory installation for the repair.
It has been proven that the bypass does NOT adequately load the BCM, and can show problems down the line.
c4c5,
to clarify you're saying the GM repair kit prevents the steering wheel from locking but allows the computer to operate normal whereas the CL bypass "tricks" the computer and that could cause problems later.
my question is can an average mechanically skilled person (me) with basic tools do this job?
if so, can you give me an idea what's involved in installing the repair kit?
thanks,
ROCKnROLL

HI there,
Yes, if you can use a set of hand tools, you can do this installation yourself.
You will need a T15, T30, a steering wheel lock plate depressor tool, and a strong pair of hands to do this job.
Just remember, ALWAYS, EVERYTIME, disconnect the negative battery terminal BEFORE you start this job, as you will be removing the driver side air bag.
Also, you probably will not be able to find the puller legs needed to release the steering wheel.
All you will have to do is rock the steering wheel back and forth, to release it.
The instructions are very in depth, and I really dont think that you would have a problem.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Is this kit for automatic and manual transmission cars or just automatics?? I have a 2K 6-speed. More importantly, does it resolve this problem for good??

HI there,
The kit is for the automatics, however, I do install them on sticks when the customer signs a release.
Yes, when installed correctly, I have NOT had 1 problem with the column lock actuator after. And that is over 200 cars.

c4c5,
thanks for the info.
i appreciate your help.
i'm just curious to know how long it takes you to do one? :)

Why do you require people to sign a release for the manual trans cars? This doesn't disable the security system as well, does it?

marteeni said:
Why do you require people to sign a release for the manual trans cars? This doesn't disable the security system as well, does it?
Hi there,
No, it does not completely disable the security system. However, GM NEVER intended the automatic fix, which disables the locking steering column, to be used on manual transmissions.
I require a signed release for legal reasons, based on this fact, for my dealership.
This simply states that the customer understands exactly what I am doing, and that the repair is at the customers REQUEST.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom