Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

For the tall C4 drivers out there.....

Zixxer

Corvette
1982 Red Coupe
Just passing on something I did they may help a few of you get a little more headroom.

Based upon some other messages posted here and elsewhere on the net I picked up a manual seat track off eBay for $25.00. I did this because I was told the manual track is shorter by 1/2"......not true. The manual tracks are identical in height to the power seat tracks so I stuck the manual in the closet.

After replacing my seats I quickly realized I needed to work something as the new foam put my head squarely on the roof of the car (glass top too)….at 6' 5" it was too much.

I took the manual track back out of the closet and after looking at it for awhile, I did two things:

1. Crushed the bolt holders (top of the tracks) or the four risers where the nuts are welded to hold the seat bottoms into place. During the pressing process a couple of the nuts came free but they are easily reused by just holding them in place or put some adhesive to secure them until the seat bolts are threaded into place. This gives you 1/4 to 3/8" lowering of the seat all the way around.

2. Where the two holes fit (bottom of the tracks) on the back two bolts (secured to the car itself, one on each side), I pressed the metal flat where it makes the arch or lift of the rear of the track. This will prevent the seat from sliding back because the track catches are now blocked. You will need to either grind the metal that blocks the slider or pry the metal back slightly so the seat can slide to the last catch. I redrilled two new holes in the bottom (one of each side, in the rear) of the tracks as they no longer align when you bend the metal flat and reattached the tracks. This will net you full inch of headroom. I also trimmed some foam from the seat bottom, not too much as I suspect the padding will compress over time.

All in all I gained an 1.5" in headroom and the car never fit better. The angle of the seat is perfect and will continue to get more comfortable as the seat wears in. Hope this helps a couple of you and I'm more then happy to expand or explain it better if you plan on trying it.

For $25.00 it's worth it :)

Great idea!! I know what you mean about headroom. At 5 ft. 16 in. I need all the headroom I can get. That is why I bought a convertible. Now the sky is the limit (so to speak). LOL

I am 6'5" and the only time I have a problem is when I have to wear the helmet for racing. Of course the seat is all the way down and all the way back, plus reclined.

UB2 SLOW said:
I am 6'5" and the only time I have a problem is when I have to wear the helmet for racing. Of course the seat is all the way down and all the way back, plus reclined.
Everyone is different, I'm longer in the torso, you're probably longer in the legs so it's not an issue.

Zixxer said:
Everyone is different, I'm longer in the torso, you're probably longer in the legs so it's not an issue.
Thats true, I didnt think of that. My father in law is 6'5" also, and he has a Vert. When I sit in his car, my head hits the top.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom