Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

For true duals, does earlier cross-member fit?

L

Little Brother

Hi guys,
My '81 has an automatic tranny. I am getting ready to have true dual exhaust installed. One obvious option is to have the driver's side pipe curve over just like the Y-pipe and go under the passenger seat, then back over to the driver side. However, I was wondering if anyone knew whether you could buy a tranny cross-member from an earlier year Vette and have it bolt right in without any fabrication? You know, the years where the cross-member had two large holes int it, for the two exhaust pipes. If you've done it, please let me know what year cross-member you used.
Thanks!

A Possible Option

Hey Little Brother

Not a factory or other model part, but Bowtie overdrives has a C3 trans cross member for a 700R that allows far greater freedom with exhaust routes and styles.

http://www.700r4.com/xmem/index.shtml

I would give them a call and see if they do one for your T350 (assuming standard) and this might solve your issue using the standard mounting points, and therefore reversible if later required.

Good Luck.

:beer Grant.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=4.36.1303

fr1303.jpg

Those Mid America pipes are unequal length and not mandrel bent. It's rpetty easy to notch the stock crossmember, just weld a bulge on top and cut the bottom and weld in a new bottom plate.

Here's what I built for a friend, an all stainless equal length 2.75" dual system. It uses the stock crossmember, althoyugh a little modified.

joopexhaust8.jpg

joopexhaust11.jpg

joopexhaust14.jpg

joopexhaust16.jpg

joopexhaust17.jpg

The earlier crossmember can be made to fit. It may look like a bolt in but it's not. The bottom bolts will go in just fine but the through bolts on the inside of the frame rail won't. You'll have to mcut the crossmember, bring the hole outboard a bit and reweld. The downside to this crossmember is that the pipes go through it and the location is such that you must run the pipes close to the tranny.

Great idea to alter the 82 crossmember a little to accept a true dual exhaust. I took out my 82 crossmember removed all the powdercoating and tomorrow I'll bring it to a friend :)

Groeten Peter.

It's not just a notch, hard to see in the pics but there's also a bulge welded on top, right where the crossmember slopes down, the bulge runs all the way up to the parking brake guide wheel bracket.

I'll post some picture's of my altered crossmember next week. The first design wasn't that strong and didn't fit either. So i did the second design myself by cutting the crossmember apart and making it quick nice if i may say so.

Groeten Peter.

Here is my final solution.
After powdercoating it twice for nothing i didn't powdercoat it again but put some cheaper paint on it. Thats why it doesn't look as nice as usual. Never the less:
IMG_3644.JPG

I'm happy with it :)

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom