Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fouled some plugs on the 62

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Been doing a kitchen renovation since January, been using the garage to stage some tools in for the kitchen, So the 62 spent the winter going in and out of the garage almost nightly Never allowed to warm up.

Thursday night I go to pull it out and It just would not run correct, I figure a plug wire failed Go thru all my diagnostics and find 2 bad plugs but all were a little dark

The plugs in the car are MR43T these are the plugs that came with the motor GM performance crate motor 454/425HO. No one has them in stock, I was told they are marine plugs Does anybody know what would be a better choice or is this it.

I am not worried about the heat range as I have read these plugs before and they always looked great, I think there black from all the trips in and out of the garage with the choke on

So now I am waiting on plug to come in tomorow and I finally have a minute to look into why my gas pedal is so hard to depress

Start looking and find wright off the bat I have a poor locatin for the carb spring I have it attached to the front bottom side of the throttle linkage on the front carb

HELLO Mc Fly

When you press on the gas to pull in the front carb the bottom side of the throttle linkage go away from the back throttle linkage ,meaning they are trying to pull away from each other. So I make a bracket and I am good to go

Now I still have a tight throttle when I start to pull in the front and rear carbs.

I Look at the intermedate linkage and find its rubbing on the primary linkage. Ill need to install a spacer to give it a little more room.

Just a refresher Last year I installed a new Barry Grant Six shooter with a new Bow tie over drive tv cable and I guess I never shook all of the bugs out.

So before I go to the last thing I found let me share with you guys. I love to work on cars and have been doing it forever. Allot of folks know that and always have a freind or a relative who has a Collector car and want me to help them with it. All differant things the need help with but normally I always end up under the hood checking its tune.

Needless to say not too many mecanics these days (still in the work forse) go thru a complete tune. The normally only fix the problem they were asked to do

So 30 to 40 minutes latter after giving the car a good tune I look like a hero because the cars go like there supposed to, But its normally because I always find the throttle linkage not done correct,out of adjustment, sloppy bushings or rods, carpet under the pedal. all simple stuff but always over looked. I fix it and now they get to use all of the throttle and they love me Not because Iam a great mecanic but only because I always find some extra throttle pull.

Guess what I look into mine and find I am missing the last 1/4 of the throttle opening. This happened when I installed the tri power. But I just cant get any more pull out of it

I am going to make a quick drawing and post it,to me it seams to be a geometry problem
(But I also just took some cough medicine thats making me loopy)

So here is the drawing

153118862-M.jpg

So my thought here is the throttle cant pull to full open because the cable is on the same plane. Meaning it cant pull downward it can only pull to its same plane

But

If I was able to lower where the throttle cable mounts about 3/8" of an inch it would be able to pull all the way

Does this make sence?

I dont think I can lower the mounting position of where it mounted because it would interfear with the TV cable.I may have to install a roller bearing guide to lower where it pulls from

What do you guys think does this make sence?

I dont think I can lower the mounting position of where it mounted because it would interfear with the TV cable.I may have to install a roller bearing guide to lower where it pulls from
What do you guys think does this make sence?

Larry:

A couple of thoughts:
1. From the throttle cable angle in your sketch this may not help due to the angle, but did you disconnect the linkage and make sure that the cable can move as far as it needs to?
2. Can you rotate the arm on the shaft any more counterclockwise?
3. Lengthen the arm?
4. Make a "wide" bracket that attaches to the arm and relocate the attachment point further to the left and/or higher (space permitting).

Charles

Excellent thoughts Charles

The cable lentgh and pull is OK with it disconected , I looked at it again last night and my only options are to lower it a tad in its excisting bracket

Or

to put in a pully to offset the cable lower I am going to work on it again tonight.

This is real cool stuff i dont see how i over looked this when I installed the tri power

Good suggestions above. One other thought; can you make a bracket to attach to the carb arm that would relocate the cable attaching point further forward (counter clockwise) by about 1/2"? Then as the arm rotated rearward the cable would have more travel. Also the accaching point would raise as it traveled rearward.

Well I got my car straightened out.

Was able to lower the attachment point low enough to give the angle I needed.

So

I replaced my plugs, Replaced my wires (I broke a few pulling them off the plugs) Still didnt run wright

Replaced the cap, replaced the rotor Still didnt run wright

Checked for vacum leaks NONE

Pull the valve covers looking for something bent or broken,Nothing

So I called for help and my brotherinn law came up

First question did you check the timing

Yup its where it was,distributor bolt is tight,

He says lets put the timing light on it , I figure its a waste of time as the distributor is tight and seams to be in the spot it was ,but I asked for help because I was lost as to what may be wrong so I do what I am told to do

he ask where I keep it and I explained at 38 total

Sure enough we put the light on it and its way off

Start bring her to where it should be and you can hear the motor coming into tune

So still no explaination how it got so far out,

Just shairing this as its always good to get another persons thoughts as I NEVER would have thought the timing was off, (if it was someone elses car I would have also checked the timing) but I was so absolutely positively sure it wasnt touched I never would have checked it.

Your Easy,

The M on your plug is a marine type. Probably used to get more change out those poor marinars. The same plug is a R44T or. you could also safely use R45T`s........:upthumbs

OK so now I need some real motor head type of advice

When I had the regular nitto tires on the car she would spool right up thru all of the gears. The car never got any traction so the motor just spun the wheels and spooled up like a 2 stroke

Now I have my motor back in tune, I have a set of drag radials on the car that are helping allot with the traction problems

I have the tri power on it thats a total of 750 cfm and I am still running stock jets

Plugs read fine

Now since the slicks went on

It spools up real thru first and secound gear (700R4 with a 3:43 rear) but when it hits third gear she kinda falls on its face.the motor doesnt wind up as fast as the other gears. I thought it may be running out of fuel and raised the float levels in the carbs with little or no effect

If the plugs didnt look so good I would think to sweaten/enlarge the Jets.

Could it be not enough CFM going thru the motor, meaning the Carb CFM is too small ,Could it be too restrictive an air cleaner

Dont get me wrong I am not complaining about the cars performance,

I am just afraid I may be leaving a little power un touched

Well I got to do a little more work with the car

I found out my air cleaner is too restrictive. No air cleaner on the car it runs better under hard axcellaration

I also found my fuel filter glogged with what looks like fine sawdust ? Dont know where that came from, its not metal but its a soft material.

Your looking for some hidden HP? Not knowing your engine the only suggestion I would make is about your timing... I dont know what your lead is but some dont run enough and leave some stiill HP in the engine. You might try to increase it a little bit.. Timing cleams the engine right up as it tends to lean it out. But with good gas a total of 36 or a few more make them RPM into the 7`s very easy., If the idle increases just turn it back to a more comfortable 8-900 rpm`s

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom