Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fresh Air Vent Knobs

69_Dream

Hi all

I've got what I believe is a late 69. I need to know the difference between the Fresh Air Vent Knobs that were available for 68 and early 69's and the ones made for late 69's.

I know they attach with an allen key, but I'm wondering if I could use one or the other. Is the fitting the same on both types?

I've attached a pic that should help illustrate my point. Thanks again guys.

Sly

Both were used in 69.
The Black round one was used on later models and up to 1976.
The chrome version was used from 68 to early 69 models.
They will both fit.

I suggest that you use new allen screws in them, because if you strip the head of the old ones whilst they are on the lever, they are next to impossible to get off.

Dave

Thanks for the info and advice.

My car came with none on the lever, but I'm pretty sure I've got a late 69.

I've got to decide on one of the them. It's too bad I prefer the early to the late model :(

Sly

My 70 has the round plastic ball on the vents. If I had the choice you do, I would have used the chrome metal pieces. Just my opinion.

One difference, if it matters to you. The round plastic vent balls used in mid-late 69 are smooth, not "stippled" like the later ones. The stippled ones are available in reproduction. The original smooth ones are not. The 68-early 69 knobs are metal. Hope this helps. Chuck

Actually Chuck thanks, it does. One question. By "smooth" you mean the that says CLOSE or the entire knob (top, sides)?

Also, I was checking on a vendor's site, saw (GM) next to it. THis is what you mean by reproduction?

Thanks again for the help.

Sly

I believe he means the ball itself is smooth and not textured. The new ones I put on mine have a deeper texture to them than the ones I took off. I like the older ones better but one of them had been broken by the previous owner by tightening down on the allen screw too tight.

For 69, the entire knob is smooth...untextured. The later years, and all currently available repro's and service replacements are stippled. You'll have to revert to digging through things at flea markets to find nice smooth originals.

The smooth 69's look the same....>CLOSE<, but they're smooth---all around...sides, back, front, etc. Chuck

Thanks a bunch Chuck :D

...and once again, this forum and its members come through for me. Thanks all for all your help.

Sly

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom