Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Friday was Fright Night

Gburg

Corvette
2006 Monterey Red Coupe
I had a few extra psi (35+) in the tires so, that they would not go down parked in the garage for 6 or more days. With the continued warm weather (mid - high 50s), I decided to exercise my 400 ponies. It rained all MLK weekend but I did not care. Nothing the car wash will not cure. So, I bled-off some psi down to about 32 psi.

I went to my favorite Italian restaurant in West Jefferson. I happened to look at the tire pressure monitor, and the RF showed 30. As I was about to turn for the restaurant, I noticed that RF indicated 29... 28... 27. I turned into a gas station across the street from the restaurant.
But some dude had his pick-up parked in front of the air hose.
So I went up the main drag to two other stations, but neither one had air hoses!!! RF indicates: 26... 25.... flat tire warning light comes on ... 23... 21 ... 19...
Back to the first gas station. [Good thing my West Jeff cop "buddy" is not around tonight.
] The pick-up is gone so, I swoop in to park next to the air hose. RF gets pumped-up to 32 psi. Whew!!!!!

The problem was with my aftermarket chrome air valve cap w/ C6 emblem. For whatever reason, the little black o-ring of the RF, will not stay in the top of the cap. When I check the psi of the RF, the stupid little o-ring, is often wedged in the front of the air valve. This prevents the adding of air or using my tire gauge. Several times, I have had to dig it out of the air valve w/ my ballpoint pen. Then I would tamp down the o-ring to the top of the valve cap with the ballpoint pen. Well... I guess on Friday night, that the same offending o-ring was pressing against the air valve and dumping all of the air out of the RF. It was a good thing that I was near a gas station and had the tire pressure monitor, in view. The RF stayed @ 32 psi for the rest of the evening. Drove to Dayton the next day with no problems. But, I had my eye on the tire pressure monitor for the whole trip. No more scares: a steady 32 psi. [Actually the front tires are @ 32 psi and the rears are @ 30 psi.]

So watch your aftermarket valve caps, when you check your tire inflation. For me, I am going back to my factory valve caps. Next Friday night, I may not be near a gas station with working air hoses.

Gburg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom