Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Bearings

kfehling

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition
I need to replace the right front bearings on my '96 LT1. My mechanic prefers to use Timken as that is what he has found to perform the best. However, his supplier is not able to get us one for a couple of weeks. Their price is also high, $350. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find Timken bearings quicker and/or at a better price. Thanks for the help.

First off, I would replace them in pairs. Second I would go with the OEM part from AC-Delco as they were made for the car and also made to run 150k miles per the retired GM engineer next door to me. Third for what they want for one Timken you can get 2 of the OEM bearings and have money left over.

With 147k on the clock I just replaced all four on my 85, after removing them...the rears had a bit of movement but the fronts were still relatively tight and really did not need to be replaced but I did it anyway for piece of mind.

350.00 for a bearing is way too much...I think I paid a bit over 150 each for the AC's...

Good point Eagle. I should note that my car only has 53,000 miles on it, but I have done a fair amount of noncompetative track events, but am still surprised that I have to replace one this early.

Well, I found some for $150 at autozone.com. Call their stores, and it will be an extra $100 per.

Eagle,

What is the benefit of replacing them both if only one is showing signs of wear? My track events have been heavily biased towards left turns (hence more stress on the right side--the one being replaced). Not to doubt your wisdom, but I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this replacement protocol.
Thanks.

That is what I have always been taught...it is like replacing the throwout bearing when replacing the clutch and pressure plate cause sure as heck as soon as you get it all back together it will fail. Or just replacing one u-joint on the half shaft...
If you are subjecting the right side to extraordinary lateral stress...the left side is being subjected as well...
It just makes sense to replace both while you have it up in the air. The fronts are a breeze to replace...I did both on my 85 in the driveway in an hour...course the air drive helped.

Preventative maintainance...better safe then sorry....

By the same token, I wouldn't buy just one tire if only one was bad.

_ken :w

Eagle and Ken,

I did order two while I was at it--just in case. I have the same inclination as you two but the shop I use here in Santa Rosa thought is was not necessary. I might as well have them both done. Thanks for the advice.

See you at the 50th!

Can a mechanically inclined person (who is not a mechanic) replace front/rear bearings? Special tools?

I have an '88 and I sure wouldn't want to have to pay $900 to have all four changed.

the front is easy. the rears more difficult. mostly because you need some un common tools. 36mm socket, big torque bit number 45 or 50 I believe, also a 1/2 air wrench might help. many people have done it at home (not me) however i wish I had as the shop that did mine warped my rotors and i had to replace them

I replaced all four in an afternoon in my driveway...Ernie is correct...the fronts are a slice...the rears are a bit of a bear but doable at home...I would highly advise getting a can of PB Blaster and soak the nut on the rears and let it set while you do the front. Makes the nuts come off very easy. Grab a chiltons manual or a haynes to help....

Eagle85C4 said:
$350.00 for a bearing is way too much...I think I paid a bit over 150 each for the AC's...

I was charged $260 apiece for the fronts and $250 each for the rears when I had them done last year. I thought at the time it was a bit rich, but then, it was "Richie" that did it (to me I guess! :()

As Eagle stated, mine weren't noticibly worn, but I did all four just for the piece of mind not having to worry about 'em for a long time. ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom