Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Wheel Bearings...?

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Silly question and I should know better but...when I usually adjust tapered wheel bearings, I usually set the nut by just the weight of my arm on a wrench. > and it's always worked fine.

BUT...by doing so this time I'm right between the slots on the castle-nut...if I go one back I've got slight up/down play in the wheel. If I go one slot tighter well...I feel it may be too tight!

Will a heated wheel bearing expand any...?

LVMYVT76

Corvette
1976 medium blue
I set them up usually with a set of channel lock pliers, adjust them tight , if hole doesn't alighn up, back off to next hole. Never had a problem with any I have done. Just make sure that bearings are correctly packed with correct grease. Thats another story.

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
I set them up usually with a set of channel lock pliers, adjust them tight , if hole doesn't alighn up, back off to next hole...
See that's just it, for some reason backing off to the next hole leaves some slop in the wheel. BTW I replaced the bearings and races last year...

I never set them up too tight (by torquing into them), but simply let the weight of my arm rest down on the channel locks...but it's almost like I need an extra slot between the snug and the loose setting...:crazy

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
There are TWO cotter pin holes in the spindle (one vertical, one horizontal) so the nut can be pinned in 1/12th of a turn increments; follow the procedure in the Shop Manual. Each full turn of the nut is .050", so you can set it within .004".

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom