Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Wheel Bearings...?

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Silly question and I should know better but...when I usually adjust tapered wheel bearings, I usually set the nut by just the weight of my arm on a wrench. > and it's always worked fine.

BUT...by doing so this time I'm right between the slots on the castle-nut...if I go one back I've got slight up/down play in the wheel. If I go one slot tighter well...I feel it may be too tight!

Will a heated wheel bearing expand any...?

I set them up usually with a set of channel lock pliers, adjust them tight , if hole doesn't alighn up, back off to next hole. Never had a problem with any I have done. Just make sure that bearings are correctly packed with correct grease. Thats another story.

I set them up usually with a set of channel lock pliers, adjust them tight , if hole doesn't alighn up, back off to next hole...
See that's just it, for some reason backing off to the next hole leaves some slop in the wheel. BTW I replaced the bearings and races last year...

I never set them up too tight (by torquing into them), but simply let the weight of my arm rest down on the channel locks...but it's almost like I need an extra slot between the snug and the loose setting...:crazy

There are TWO cotter pin holes in the spindle (one vertical, one horizontal) so the nut can be pinned in 1/12th of a turn increments; follow the procedure in the Shop Manual. Each full turn of the nut is .050", so you can set it within .004".

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom