Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frozen Converter Bolts

DADS8T2

Corvette
82 Red Coupe
I want to keep my 82 fundamentally "stock" and original. But, wanting a little more juice, I've added K&Ns, removed the air door, added Super Turbos and am now adding a free-flow converter.
Started soaking the bolts, but I can see this is going to be a bear to get off . . . now's when I wish I had a lift, instead of the ramps! Hate to have to take it to a muffler shop . . . anybody got any ideas?
Thanks!

G

GreyGhost

WELCOME DADS8T2

Ed:

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community (CACC). This is a great corvette site. Check it out and look at some of the great features that Rob has installed.

Sorry to hear about frozen bolts. Use penetrating oil, tap with a hammer, more penetrating oil, wait for it to work in then use a breaker bar to break them loose. It may not be that easy.

Don't give up,

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
DADS8T2 Welcome to The Corvette Action Center Community

DADS8T2

If all else fails a small propane torch works well... Just be kind of careful down there.. hehehehehe

And enjoy your time here and the :W:

BudD

Corvette
08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
A little bit of heat from a torch will probably work. However, in the event that it does not...here is a trick I learned from an old steam fitter a few weeks ago that will work for sure. Get a plain wax candle or parafin block. Heat the bolt/nut whatever just enough to cause the wax to be drawn into the threads, much like soldering, turn off the heat and remove the bolt/nut. Be careful as wax is flammable. Good luck!!

fastglass95

Corvette
1996 LT4 coupe + 2004 Z06 Z16
frozen bolts

When I removed my convertor I had the same problem.
So, I just "Muscled-Up" and broke off about 3 of them and the rest came out the correct way. (Note: cussing helps!)
I replaced the bolts upon re-assembly. Be carefull, the convertor is pretty heavy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom