Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FS: Aluminum BB Chevy Heads

JAKE

Corvette
1996 388 LT1
I've had these sitting around forever (over 15 years), always thinking I'd use them on another BB engine build. Now I've come to realize "it ain't gonna happen".​

I ran these on a 468 street engine in a Trans Am back in the early 90s until the car had an unfortunate encounter with a railroad over-pass support.

NO! Neither the engine nor the heads was hurt.

These are open chamber (119 ccs) big port heads.

I had Manley Pro-Flow valves installed (2.19/1.88) and new guides before I bolted them to the 468.

Ports were worked by a guy in the Chicago area, whose name escapes me. The heads originally had round exhaust ports, but he converted them to 'D' port exhausts, since the thinking was the 'D's flow better.

These heads are sound; never over-heated, and the car they were in as my daily driver, so you can bet I maintained the engine. I had the spring pockets cut for 1.625 springs and the heads have cups. The springs are DEAD, though. Over fifteen years of sitting around had caused them to rust. The heads have all the rocker studs and pushrod guide plates.

I didn't get these heads new and I believe they've been down the quarter more than a few times. Some of you familar with early BB heads know the rocker stud bosses were a weak link and these heads show evidence of that. A couple of stud bosses had apparently broken at one time or another but were welded up and reinforced. I never had any problem with these heads, no leakage, etc.

It it were me buying them, I'd have them cleaned, valve job and heli-coils checked, install new springs and clean the rocker studs and plates. They don't need surfacing. If memory serves, I ran Fel-Pro 8180 PT head gaskets.

Casting numbers 3946074.

Anyone doing a budget build and needing a pair of BB aluminum, open chamber, big port heads may find these fit the bill.

$500 + shipping and they're yours.

Jake

I posted 20 photos of the heads on Photobucket but I don't know how to post a link here so that anyone interested can take a look-see.

I'm attaching one pic on the two welded up stud bosses on one head. I don't recall if the other head has any or not, but I'll check when I get home and post pics.

If anyone knows how I can post a link to the 20 pics on Photobucket, let me know so I can.

BBCHEVYHEADS003.jpg

As I posted earlier, these heads are sound. They were on a properly running engine at the time of the accident and weren't hurt in the accident. They have been sitting around for a long time and do need cleaning up. They only had a few thousand miles on them at the time of the accident.

Jake

Heads are SOLD!

Thanks to all.

Jake

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom