Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Capacity

M

matt&nancy

I just bought an '82 Sport Coupe and the gas guage is not working properly. I am trying to find out what the fuel tank capacity was for that year. I am getting each peice fixed systematically and unfortunately the Fuel Tank sending unit has to take a position at the back of the line. If anyone has this information could you please pass it along. I greatly appreciate it.

Matt

Matt,

Actually, I responded to you privately saying that I didn't have the spec., but I do. 24 gallons

rob

I think your wrong about 24 gallons mine sure seems to be full around 16-17, but then again mine was in a bad rear end accident at sometime so it could be a different year tank

The spec. comes from a Car and Driver magazine. It's possible, but can anyone else verify?

My 82 holds 20 gallons. I'm pretty sure the service manual states 20 also.
Carlo

25 gallon tank

I checked an original parts manual at work this morning.Part # is 457999 -25 gallon.By the way,it has long been discontinued.
I put 22 gal in my 81 on Sunday,and I know I had a few gallons left.

Dave

hhhhmmmmm!
I gotta check that Burglar. I know my tank is original and takes 20 when bone dry. :confused

I stand corrected. 23.7 gallons. I wonder where my missing 2.3 gallons are stored. In my old Volkswagon I used to turn the lever on the floor for my reserve. :gap

I have heard (and correct me if this is wrong) that there's a bladder inside the 78-82 C3 fuel tanks. Over time, this bladder can supposedly shrink somewhat, reducing fuel capacity.

But there are no replacement tanks available. Some say it's becuase the bladder is too difficult for aftermarket producers to make...

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it. Although, I am confused still. I am hoping the tank is around the 24-25 gallon size. that would explain the 14 gallons at half a tank.

yea there something definately fishy about my tank then as even at near completely empty its never taken more than 17 gallons to completly fill it up ..... whats this bladder

I am partly confused myself.I got home tonight and checked my 81 GM shop manual and it says.....23.7 I think I will run it completely out of gas this weekend and then refill it.I just hope I am not to far from a gas station:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom