Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Gauge/sending Unit??

Diver

Corvette
1981 Black on Black, 2006 Victory Red Coupe
Does the gas tank have to be removed to replace the fuel sending unit on a 1981? Any little things I should know before starting this project or hiring it out? Thanks, Terry

What are your symptoms? Your car has a rubber "bladder" inside the steel tank, and they frequently begin to collapse/contract and interfere with the travel of the float arm on the sending unit. Yes, the tank has to come out to replace the sending unit.
:beer

The guage stays at just below the "F" regardless how much gas is in the tank with one exception. When I fill it up it pegs itself to the right of the "F". Was reading where the C5 drivers have same problems and most of them have used an additive and seems to have fixed their problems. Something about a buildup of chemicals caused by some brands of fuel. Maybe I'll try that in a couple of tanks before going the change out. Also read about cleaning the contacts of the sending unit. They also seem to have been a culprit as well. So will try that too. Smoking isn't a problem Sully. I don't smoke. Afraid it will stunt my growth. Thanks ya'll. Terry

Diver said:
The guage stays at just below the "F" regardless how much gas is in the tank with one exception. When I fill it up it pegs itself to the right of the "F".
Classic symptoms of a collapsing bladder that's jammed the float arm in one position; usually they won't take the rated capacity when you fill up, either. :eyerole

John does a collasped bladder mean tank should be replaced as well?

That's a real problem on the '78-up cars (I think that's when it started) with the "bladder" tanks - nobody makes reproductions, and the earlier non-bladder tanks won't fit. Maybe someone more familiar with late C3's can offer suggestions.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom