Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Gauge/Sending Unit

M

Mark'syellow80

Hello to All,

I did a search on this topic to help me with my current problem and I did learn quite a bit. I have had my 80 for four years and never knew if the low fuel light worked. Well I found out the hard way! Although I did intentionally run her out of gas (I was prepared with my lawn mower fuel can in the car!) the light never came on. Below are the facts as I know them:

• The fuel gauge has always worked, but as I read on other posts it tends to sit on 'E' for quite some time which appears normal for these vehicles.
  • Grounded the red wire on the top of the sending unit flange and the gauge went to the 3 O'clock position.
  • Checked the resistance across the sending unit right before I ran out of gas and I had 6 ohms.
  • Filled her up and just checked resistance again.....93 ohms.
So as I understand from earlier posts...it appears the fuel gauge is working properly; it appears the sending unit is working properly so I either have:

1. A burned out low fuel bulb
  2. Defective circuit board on the back of the bulb/gauge
Is there a way to check the red and black wires from the top of the sending unit to the gauge? Or does grounding out the red wire and having the needle go to the 3 O'clock position confirm the wiring is fine?

Anything further to assist me would be appreciated before I take the gauge bezel apart.

Thanks in advance!!

MARK

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom