Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel in oil

madvette74

my secondaries were dumping fuel, when the engine was shut off, my car started to sputter and backfire, I changed the oil that was very milky, I let in run for about a min or two, cheanged the oil again,, did the same thing, changed it one more time let it run for about 5 min, the backfiring stopped and so did the sputtering, the engine sounds good again. but how does the fuel effect it like that? the motor has 1700 miles on it, should I worry about anything? in long term..

try and help

Hi Madvette 74, i have not had my vette very long,but have owned alot of different makes of cars, over the years, so some of the experiances ive had with different cars i could write a book about, firstly are you sure it is fuel and not water getting in to your oil, a milky appearance is usually with water getting in to your engine and a major cause is a blown head gasket, when fuel gets into your engine it turns a yellowish non clear appearance.this happened to me years ago with a V8 buick can not remember the year because ive owned over adozen buicks ,it was actually a worn fuel pump the oil seal inside the pump had worn and gaz was getting pumped into the sump, and when this happens the engine is not getting the correct amount of gaz, so it starts missing, but im not sure if this can happen on a corvette v8, so someone else may be able to help you , hope you get it sorted, regards wayne, ausy.

You should be fine. As long as you have corrected the fuel problem, then your double oil change will solve the gas in oil problem. The other thing to remember is that a bit of residual fuel that may migrate into your oil will be vaporized and carried off once the oil gets up to operating temperatures.

Gary

Usually a milky color indicates water in the oil. Gas in the oil will mix in and thin it out without changing the color. Look for a blown head gasket or other places where water can get in.

yea it's definetly gas. all you can smell is a very strong odor from the oil and the oil filter, many times did I seen my secondaries just unload all it's fuel from it's bowl.. just wasn't using my brains on changing the oil, I tried playing with the float adjustment.... there is no fluid loss, there is no question on it being fuel though

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom