Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel lines

rowingone

Corvette
1964 conv
I wanted to replace my rubber fuel line with a metal one . . I noticed that the stock sb lines from pump to carb are for front mount carbs . . . I have an Edelbrock with a side mount . . . were any of the stock sb carbs side mount or is it easier to make my own? Do I need a flare tool or anything else if I make my own. I would also need an inline fuel filter. Thanks for any suggestions!

I have used the Edelbrock/Russell setup (with in-line filter) for several years and it is trouble-free.

carbproject05.jpg

carbfinal03.jpg

Are you a mostly stock motor?

If yes I would purchase or borrow a flare kit and a tube bender , and make it up out of steel

If your not stock then there are some real nice fittings and hoses you can get to get the job done. I mentioned to herb in another post about getting an areoquip catalog as they have all of the fittings you could need

I was a little intimidated at first working with the AN fittings but once you understand what fittings go where its not too bad.

I chose areoquip over some of the others because of the new mecanical fittings are re useable and once they are made up proper they are not going to leak

The hardest part (once you know what fittings to get) is cutting the braided hose and not leaving any burs/strings

Best of luck.

Actually in looking at pauls set up, if that was a kit, it looks perfect . the only thing you would need to do is put an adapter in the fuel pump to change it from the pipe thread to the 6 an size. That would probably be done a standard 90

Actually in looking at pauls set up, if that was a kit, it looks perfect . the only thing you would need to do is put an adapter in the fuel pump to change it from the pipe thread to the 6 an size. That would probably be done a standard 90
I'll ask. Do you think braided hose is any less of a fire hazard than any other rubber hose??

I bought an inexpensive steel 3/8 brake line at the local auto store with a flare fitting that fit the carb. I cut off the other flared end and used a tubing bender to get to the fuel line from the frame. If you have a mechanical pump in that area, you can flare the line there and connect for an all steel line above the exhaust manifolds. I have an electric pump at the rear and my in-line filter is there too.

Dave is right. All you need is a simple bender, tubing cutter and flaring tool. I enjoy bending my own lines and coming up with something cleaner looking than the originals. You can be quite creative and it really is easy to do. You might throw away a few pieces of tubing before you get the hang of it but it's cheap and you will get great satisfaction out of a nicely bent fuel line when it's done plus it looks professional.

Tom

I'll ask. Do you think braided hose is any less of a fire hazard than any other rubber hose??

I bought an inexpensive steel 3/8 brake line at the local auto store with a flare fitting that fit the carb. I cut off the other flared end and used a tubing bender to get to the fuel line from the frame. If you have a mechanical pump in that area, you can flare the line there and connect for an all steel line above the exhaust manifolds. I have an electric pump at the rear and my in-line filter is there too.

The answer would be YES

But I am not here to debate anybody on it,

I love steel lines myself. I think if done with a bender they look as though they were done at the factory.

But If I had the chance to bend a line up or use the kit Paul has on his car. I would chose the kit Paul has

I had forgotten that 90* adapter at the fuel pump end. Thanks for reminding me. Here is the stock line compared with the adapter in blue.

fuelpump03.jpg

Dave is right. All you need is a simple bender, tubing cutter and flaring tool. I enjoy bending my own lines and coming up with something cleaner looking than the originals. You can be quite creative and it really is easy to do. You might throw away a few pieces of tubing before you get the hang of it but it's cheap and you will get great satisfaction out of a nicely bent fuel line when it's done plus it looks professional.

Tom

I've made lots of brake and fuel lines for project cars, and I use a piece of coathanger wire to make the pattern, then make the line to match the pattern - works great. :)

John,
But how do you flare them to get a perfect fit without leaks? Need more special tools I presume? I am not a teflon tape fan.

IMO the hardest lines to get leak free are stainless. After careful inspection then dressing the end with a small metal file to remove irregularities, the leaks are sealed.

I use teflon "tape" film only on block and rad plugs and fittings. I use (sticky on one side) teflon tape on the door jambs, where the door panels rub on the body to keep the paint from being damaged.

IH8TOLOSE: I was wondering if the manufacturer provided data showing the product to be superior to plain rubber fuel hose - no negative conotation intended. I like the Edelbrock carb design, but the lack of a front fuel entry at the air horn keeps me using the old Carter design. Has anyone seen an Edelbrock marine design that has a front fuel fitting? I have heard there is one but can't find a pic.

John,
But how do you flare them to get a perfect fit without leaks? Need more special tools I presume? I am not a teflon tape fan.

Paul, I buy bulk line and loose fittings, and use an Imperial-Eastman double-flaring tool after bending the line. Eastwood has a really nice rolling-cam tubing bender that works great for making the bends.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom