Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Full exhaust system, got to figure this out soon

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
So I've been looking around for a complete exhaust system (headers to tailpipes) for my 1996 Corvette (CE LT4).

I've looked around at a http://www.lmperformance.com/7010/24.html a Borla system, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after. I'm looking for loud. Like almost no sound restriction at all. I know that headers will give me this, but I want the pipes behind the headers to let the sound go through and out the tail.

Which leads me to my second question...What headers are the best?? Loud, and bolt-on.

I'd like all this to be bolt-on. I'm not interested in cutting or bending. I'm planning on doing this whole system myself.

Ideas? Suggestions???

I had tpis headers and the borla stingers on my 90 and it was very loud, and unique sounding as compared to all flowmaster trucks, camaros, and mustangs. You can look straight thru the stingers. I didnt have any cats either.

I had tpis headers and the borla stingers on my 90 and it was very loud, and unique sounding as compared to all flowmaster trucks, camaros, and mustangs. You can look straight thru the stingers. I didnt have any cats either.

I can only see TPIS headers that are for C5s. What exactly did you throw up in your C4? Also, was it bolt-on?

And how'd you get away with no cats? You just put straight pipes where the cats were supposed to be?

Anybody had any experience with Corsa?? I'm looking at 1996 LT1 and LT4 with Satin Finish #14118

I got the the headers direct from tpis.com. They bolted right up, i just had to take out some little crossmember pieces at the front of the car. Taking the old manifolds out was worse for me than putting the headers in. Then i bought the borla stinger catback and installed it my self as well. Later on i took the car to a muffler shop and told the guys to just weld in straight pipes in place of the cats. My car was very loud and being an auto i had some resonance problems. A h or x pipe might have fixed or helped but i got rid of the car before i got the chance to try it. If you want really loud just get muffler deletes, that would be a lot cheaper too.

I got the the headers direct from tpis.com. They bolted right up, i just had to take out some little crossmember pieces at the front of the car. Taking the old manifolds out was worse for me than putting the headers in. Then i bought the borla stinger catback and installed it my self as well. Later on i took the car to a muffler shop and told the guys to just weld in straight pipes in place of the cats. My car was very loud and being an auto i had some resonance problems. A h or x pipe might have fixed or helped but i got rid of the car before i got the chance to try it. If you want really loud just get muffler deletes, that would be a lot cheaper too.

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?modul...ber=37&catalogSubCategory=C4+Corvette+Headers

Is this what you've got? Doesn't look like they have any for a '96 LT4 though.

Those are the headers i purchased. Im not 100% sure but i think the LT1 and the LT4 are basicly the same. The only diff is the intake, cam, and valve sizes? Maybe somebody with more knowledge on LT1/4 engines can give you a definite answer.

Those are the headers i purchased. Im not 100% sure but i think the LT1 and the LT4 are basicly the same. The only diff is the intake, cam, and valve sizes? Maybe somebody with more knowledge on LT1/4 engines can give you a definite answer.

Right, but I think it's more dependent on the clearance issues of the '96, as compared to the earlier '90s. Not just no LT1/4 possibilities, but nothing past like '91 there.

This has been an ongoing topic of discussion on the other forum. Here's what I intend to do: I do not want loud until WOT, I want a deep healthy sound, and I don't want the resonance issue. EM or SW headers, High flow Cat/connectors, Or you can go cat eliminator connectors, & Corsa. Also Melrose has a system - headers back to the mufflers- but no mufflers. You can install your choice there. They look so good that you could display them on your living room coffee table.
The EM and SW are easy to install, I'm told. You can also purchase the chambered exhaust - no muffler.
www.exoticmuscle.com
www.mam.com

This has been an ongoing topic of discussion on the other forum. Here's what I intend to do: I do not want loud until WOT, I want a deep healthy sound, and I don't want the resonance issue. EM or SW headers, High flow Cat/connectors, Or you can go cat eliminator connectors, & Corsa. Also Melrose has a system - headers back to the mufflers- but no mufflers. You can install your choice there. They look so good that you could display them on your living room coffee table.
The EM and SW are easy to install, I'm told. You can also purchase the chambered exhaust - no muffler.
www.exoticmuscle.com
www.mam.com

Hmmm... I like the looks of that Melrose package for my Corvette. It's everything besides the mufflers, so I can just put muffler-eliminator pipes there. That'll open up some sound.

Any idea what that Melrose package would cost??

And also, I'm assuming that cats (for emissions purposes) come with the system, correct?

Thanks

Melrose

Stallion,
In June, I exchanged e mails with a nice, informative fella named Chris (at Melrose). They prefer to go through their distributors, but if none is available to you, they will ship to you. He said the cost for the complete system is $1650, or $1450 without cats. I don't know what today's price is.
The photos of the system look like a work of art. I've never seen the real thing. From my point of view, I whish Melrose would explain exactly what mufflers would adapt, and which were loud and which were less so. Again, you won't want the resonance that some systems put out. A friend has a 73 that I can't ride in because the frequency actually rattled my eardrums (or brain, or something) and I couldn't wait for the ride to end.
I guess you could run muffler eliminators at the end of the Melrose. You will certainly turn some heads.
Try Chris at 800-547-0075.
Let me know what you decide on.
Good Luck

Stallion,
In June, I exchanged e mails with a nice, informative fella named Chris (at Melrose). They prefer to go through their distributors, but if none is available to you, they will ship to you. He said the cost for the complete system is $1650, or $1450 without cats. I don't know what today's price is.
The photos of the system look like a work of art. I've never seen the real thing. From my point of view, I whish Melrose would explain exactly what mufflers would adapt, and which were loud and which were less so. Again, you won't want the resonance that some systems put out. A friend has a 73 that I can't ride in because the frequency actually rattled my eardrums (or brain, or something) and I couldn't wait for the ride to end.
I guess you could run muffler eliminators at the end of the Melrose. You will certainly turn some heads.
Try Chris at 800-547-0075.
Let me know what you decide on.
Good Luck

I just called and they're looking for $1600 (not including shipping, which will be quite a bit extra). I didn't talk to Chris, but when I close the deal I'll make sure to go through him. Supposedly he was busy, or something.

I think this Melrose package might be what I'm after. The only other thing I'll need is the mufflers. And like I said above, I think I'm going to go muffler-eliminator pipes and see how I like that sound.

I guess all in all, I'm looking at about $1850 for everything when all is said and done for all new exhaust. Not too bad, right?

Stallion,
I think you will have that much money in any quality exhaust system. By going with muffler eliminators now, when you decide you want less loud, you can install quality mufflers. I would think that this product would last you for many years. One last step I would consider is start a new thread and simply describe exactly what you are considering, titleing it something like 'Melrose users only'and request feedback from only those people who have first hand experience with the Melrose system need reply. Ask about ease of installation, product life, cats or not, resonance issues, and exactly how they finished the system with mufflers, and would they do it again. (Several other members and I are all intersted in those answers, too.)

Congrat & good luck

Z07coupe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom