Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuse block replacement 63

ta73vette66

Corvette
1963 Silver Blue SWC
Hello Folks,
Anyone have any tips on replacing the fuse block on a 63 coupe. The contacts in mine are extremely corroded so I picked up a Repair kit from Zip.
Thanks

Welcome to our forum,

Allthough I cant answer your question directly

I will make a suggestion

I am not trying to get you to spend more money then needed but you might consider doing an entire dash harness if possible.I was having 2 problems with mine

1-was that inorder for the dash light to be on some times I had to push on my fuse block with my toe and the light would come on.

2-I could never find the feed for the cigerette lighter.

My dash harness I thought was perfect

I ordered a new one and upon removing the old harness had found some splices and bear wires that may have caused a problem in the future.

My suggestion would be to replace the entire dash harness.

It ended up being an entire saturday for me but I was also in the midst of rebuilding my steering colomn

Good Luck and I am sure some one here can give you the needed information

Hi!

When I restored my 63 SWC my firewall and fuse connections had corrosion. I purchased some contact cleaner from Radio Shack and cleaned all terminals contacts with cleaner and a brush. I also used some electrical contact grease on all connections. I un-wrapped the harness inspected all wires and repaired the temperature-sending unit wire and re-wrapped the harness.

Ray

Thanks,
I will definatley look into that. Harness apears to go for around $400 but it might be worth the piece of mind that the wiring is sound.

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your input. It looks like there are only 2 screws holding the fuse block to the inside of the firewall. It seems pretty straight forward to pull it free. Are there any tricks or trouble spots?
Joe

The two screws connect the fuse block from the inside firewall to the terminal connector on the engine bay side of the firewall. If I remember correctly the only problem I had was with firewall insulation. The biggest problem I see is working under the dash. It gets real tight under there. You will want to document the routing of all the wires prior to removal. I removed my dash to restore the birdcage and to install new dash pads.

Good Luck!

Ray

Picture of the new pads and a newly vinyl covered center dash.

DSC00752.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom