Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Future prices of Callaways in the next four years

CKA_Racing

Corvette
1996 CE LT4 Power Effects with stock resonator.
What will the prices be in let's say four years for the standard and Aero body?

Also, what will the parts availability be for parts that are unique to a Callaway, like the Aero body, the parts that make it into a Turbo, etc? You tell me what they are, i have no clue.

What components make up the upgraded engine block?
Example , Forged crank, etc. Anyone know what the brand name of the parts used are called?

Also what would the cost be to replaced the short block?

Also would it no longer be considered a real Callaway if the block was replaced with the same components but the work performed by some one other than Callaway.

I know, lots of questions. hehehe

Thanks
:Steer

Steve, to answer your questions by looking into my crystal ball is the best I can do... Prices, they have about hit their low for a good clean car w/out "stories". I would think as time goes by, the values shall rise (esp. red Aero cars ;) )

Parts , some are, some are not ... This has some to do w/ mfr's going out of business or the supplier no having that specific part.
Callaway Cars commited last year to keeping the lines of communication open regarding this.

I have the listed brands on a spec sheet for the B2K cars. I won't post the specific brands, etc of the Supernaturals here as someone could read it and attempt to duplicate a SNAT (as little on the outside indicates what is inside -sorry:( )

B2K short block is little more than any 5.7L service replacement w/ 4 bolt splayed caps, Forged crank, line honed & Squared,. etc.

If the block was replaced, I would hope it was done "to Callaway specs" and blessed... Is it "real" if not... Tough one, as the main components are the turbo sys.
Let's throw this question back for more feedback from others...

*89x2* Chris

Thanks for the feedabck. I'm sure some of the parts were made to custom order. So, it's not really the specs I'm curious about. Just the brand names. Example like Crane Cam, etc.
Is it possible that some of these parts can not be found or bought anymore?

I'd like to know what other's have experienced when they ran into blowing the engine up. How long did it take to get it back online. How much did it cost? Is Callaway the only option when it comes to repairing these cars when some serious stuff happens?

I know if i was a Callaway owner, I would only want Callaway doing such major repairs. But that only works if you have the $$$.

If you know what they are, we can chat offline some other time about that maybe at the next dinner. :drink

I have been thinking worse case scenarios and what it would take to get the car back online now and in the future. I know the aero panels are not a dime a dozen and are expensive for me anyways. I just don't really know much about the engines.
You think $10,000 would be a fair estimate as worse case if engine needed rebuild? I know it depends on engine damage, but worse case is what i'm after here.

Okay we both know what surf paid for his car. How much do you think that same car will sell for in let's say three years time with 30,000 miles added to it?

CKA_Racing said:

Okay we both know what surf paid for his car. How much do you think that same car will sell for in let's say three years time with 30,000 miles added to it?

I would think as the cars gain momentum (speculation here ;) ) a car like S&S's if in the same condition +30k mi would draw dollars in the same ballpark.
If a solid C4 stays in the 10-15k range (asking prices) I would think and extra 10-15k for the B2K option is within line

Luigi's car has doubled it's mileage since purchase however, it's condition has not changed in fact, Luigi seems to really care for his car and that alone is a HUGE plus :)

Steve, when it comes to Callaway repairs, their service shop rate is actually cheaper than the rate at the local Chevy dealer here and they got my SNAT in and out in one day (Thanks again Callaway Cars :beer )

I think 90Callaway will add insight to the B2K engine repair though.
Hope this helps. -Chris

Being that there were only 500 (+ or -) B2k cars produced... these cars will without a doubt be the next collectible and one of the most desireable cars out there. Compared to "tuner" cars, the Callaway's should sustain much much higher market values due to the exclusivity of having an RPO straight from GM. I would not be surprised at all if these cars will increase $10k+ in value before the end of the decade. We did a huge show at Carlisle this past summer and educated a lot of people about these cars and generated a huge amount of publicity. 89*2 is right that the cars are at a low value at this point, but it's indicative of the economy and a car that hasn't moved into "classic" status yet. (15 years in most states) If the word is spread even further about the Callaway era, the cars will increase in value. There aren't any more being made, and the production run of the cars was much less than the Shelby era of mustangs, so, figure what they'll be worth 20-30 years down the road? Quite a bit is my guess!

Cool, great info so far.

Wondering if I need to jump ship on my CE LT4 now if Calla prices are going to shoot up beyond my grasp in the next four years.

That would be a bummer for me. I enjoy racing my vette in autox, drags, etc. That's a must for me. So a C4 like i have now would work or a GASP! C5 Hardtop. I'm not crazy about the C5 looks. hehehe
I would not do that with a Callaway.

I am planning on a second vette. That would be the cruiser/show car. A Callaway would be nice.

Steve, when it comes to Callaway repairs, their service shop rate is actually cheaper than the rate at the local Chevy dealer here and they got my SNAT in and out in one day (Thanks again Callaway Cars :beer )

[/B]

wow! And they know what they are doing. :upthumbs

*89x2* said:
I would think as time goes by, the values shall rise (esp. red Aero cars ;) )

See I was thinking that a 1 of 1 Triple Black Aerobody 87 would be the most sought after but hey maybe I'm just a little biased ;)

I do have a question. Are replacement turbo's and the rest of the "callaway" replacement parts available? I seem to remember hearing something about Turbo's being hard to get?

Honestly ease/cost of repair is the only thing that is keeping me from trying to buy one.I have had some rare Shelby Dodges over the years that it bacame nearly impossible to buy some replacement parts for. I hope that doesn't happen to the B2K cars. It is that that I think will/has killed the value of some of the rarest Shelby's (GLHS's & CSX's) ever made.

Aquaman said:
See I was thinking that a 1 of 1 Triple Black Aerobody 87 would be the most sought after
You may be on to something there ;)

I do have a question. Are replacement turbo's and the rest of the "callaway" replacement parts available? I seem to remember hearing something about Turbo's being hard to get?

I think there are some avenues for rebuilding the turbo's. If the housing is cracked though, I would be a little more concerned as far as getting a replacement :(

Hope to see you in a Callaway soon :w

CKA_Racing said:
I enjoy racing my vette in autox, drags, etc. That's a must for me.
I would not do that with a Callaway.

I am planning on a second vette. That would be the cruiser/show car. A Callaway would be nice.

Whew... for a second there I thought... well, nevermind ;)
How about a 90 B2K burgundy aerobody coupe for 36k ???

Tough to tell the future on these cars, or any limited production vehicle.

They're not going to skyrocket and become $100,000 cars, although the Speedsters will probably retain a value close to their purchase price. Just a gut feeling.

500 TT's and maybe 200 SNAT's is rare, but not like the '67 - '69 L88's, where less than 150 were built and far fewer remain. The '67 in particular is very desirable due to the body style and 16 units (L88). An excellent example sold for $105,000 at Barrett-Jackson Auction - there's probably no more than 10 of these cars around.

There will be highs and lows over time. Maybe they'll go up $10, 20, or 30K - maybe more. Maybe not.

Since people are more aware of such cars today than they though of them in the '60's, 70's, and 80's, there are probably more in good to excellent shape than similar muscle cars of earlier era's.

I sometiimes think of a guy who I met and had a '78 Indy Pace Anniversary Vette. He probably paid $14K +/- for the car and put little over 2,000 miles on a car in over 20 years. He held onto it for it's potential, never drove it, and got about $25K for it 2 years ago. In my mind, did he really get any satisfaction over owning it and never driving it in hopes of hitting $$$$ down the road?

I like looking at my car just like anyone else, love cleaning it and showing it........ but I do drive it when I want; and that includes a lot of runs down the 1/4 mile.

I don't care what it will be worth or not worth in the future - I just enjoy it.

Got a little off track, but you just can't predict a cars future value!

Dave

I'm just hoping if they do up, they don't go up that much at all.
I myself would not spend big bucks an a vette or any car for that matter if it's just going to sit. It's not just for me I guess.
I don't buy cars to have them sit and do nothing. I buy a car to drive it and enjoy my time with it. So if the Callaways go high up in price reaching museum piece status( <--Sarcasm )hehehe, I won't be buying one. Example, if the lower priced ones go up into the 40-50k range, i'd rather buy a Z06 for that price. I can drive the hell out of that thing and not worry about much. Nothing special about a Z06. In my eyes the Callaway is a special vette.
How special to me? Well, i had taken pictures of *89x2* red Callaway years ago at a cruise event because I really liked it and thought it was special. Years later i met 89x2. I saw his car and said , "Dude your car looks familiar....hehehehe. I emailed him the pics I took, it's a very nice Callaway. I'd love to own it.
But again that's just me and what i prefer. If i were made of money, of course i'd buy a Callaway. I am playing the lottery, so there is still hope. Well, i keep forgetting about the N/A Callaways.
That may be the better option for me instead of the TT.
:D

hahahaha.. i just read my above reply i wrote last night. Can you tell i was half asleep. What i was trying to say did not come out right.. I give up. :J :gap :duh :beer

CKA_Racing said:
...In my eyes the Callaway is a special vette.
How special to me? Well, i had taken pictures of *89x2* red Callaway years ago at a cruise event because I really liked it and thought it was special. Years later i met 89x2. I saw his car and said , "Dude your car looks familiar....hehehehe. I emailed him the pics I took, it's a very nice Callaway. I'd love to own it.

:beer Thanks Steve. I will take her out on the "Crab Cruise" again :) (Apr. 6)

Future Values?

Hi to All...................................

Nice to be able to post here today. The question of future values is one that may not have answer.

Even though there were about 550 TT cars made the actual number of these that still are around is hard to guess. Also the number of cars that have been sent out of the country is another area that would be need to be explored. Last but not least the number of all Callaways that in average (good shape) and above shape would rate a "enhanced value".

Back in 1995-96, we were able to secure some figures that we felt were somewhat on the accurate side that may answer some of the above questions I asked:

Estimated Number of registered Callaway cars between 1987-1991 according to the National Association of Insurance Carriers was 336. Keep in mind that this is a guarded figured.

Department of Motor Vehicles in Florida, Georgia, NY, NJ, Mass, Texas, California, and Washington, offered some assistance with figures that reflected Corvettes including Callaways that were shipped out of the country between 1986 thru 1994. I was able to find the Callaway number by first Vehicle ID and shipping documentation which included all GM options (noting B2K). The numbers total 17-20 cars.

Last but not least the number of cars that we would access true collected values is more difficult. It still seems that no two people seem to agree at this borderline level.

So if we say that there are 375 cars still around, we all agree that this would make this one of the rarest performance cars ever build. This leds us to the auto market itself.

Currently, we all agree that it is on the down side at this time with future prospects being bleak for an up surges. Cars sells in general (all cars including imports and exotics) for the 2002 year was between 27% to 38% less than the previous 2001 figures. Current the manufacturers now are saving that this trend is repeating itself. Bigs hits are coming with Cadillac, Ford, Lexus, and Volvo.

Even the SUV will join these ranks quickly as the price of gas starts to rise again. Here again the economy leads the way and fuel consumption/availability is another issue ( war will contribute here too ).

I have tried not to stray from the main issue but I believe that all these things do play a part. Others issues will be "access funds" after total income. Herein jobs and the market which seems to be shrinking for the past 60 months are other consideration.

I believe that the cars themselves are only a small part. Trends which are effected by what I have mentioned here are the keys.

Everyone have good day. I welcome all feed back here and to my direct mail.

Stan

:w :)

Today, I read an interesting article relating to exotic/supercars values with a BMW M1 as the feature subject. The car, like the Callaway Corvette was done in "conjunction" w/ outside sources (body, etc) and in limited numbers (about 458 cars made over a 4 year span 78-81). Those cars have a strong following and the market appreciates their heritage...
There are other cars in limited numbers out there but, I thought this one was close in relevancy :)
thoughts???

Follow up info

Hi Chris,

Can you email all the info on this BMW M1. I was not aware that it had such a low production.

Thanks,
Stan:)

my callaway rebuid bill

was $31 short of $20,000. ($19,969) i have some pics and the invoice

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom