Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garage door openers yes or no

In The Market

I'm going to be buying an opener by the weekend, can anyone recommend a good one? And why it's good?

Thanks

I have had Sears Craftsman brand openers in at least two of my houses, had to replace the worm gear on one, (it was 8 years old) and finally failed due to a broked counter spring on the door itself. I was too lazy to replace the spring, and the additional weight of the double size door did in the nylon gear. If I remember right it cost $2.50 to repair, and 30 minutes of my time. So anyway, I can recommend Craftsman, there are several HP sizes, and different options depending on your needs. Around here, that's all the contractors put in when building homes unless the customer requests another brand.
vettepilot

Good Ol' Craftsman

Thanks vettepilot, I was going to check Sears out this weekend any way.

Omg......i never unplug mine......I close the door thats is behind my vette which is covered.........I leave the other side open so my dog can get water and food which is in the garage,I do it close it about 10 pm each night when i bring my dog in.................I really feel sorry for all you people who live where i guess there is a lot of crime.security cameras???throwing breakers at night????yikes....egads......I`m sure glad I don`t have to live that way......people around here call me paranoid because I lock the doors of my house and take the keys out of my car.(my corvette doesnt have the keys in it and it is locked) There just isn`t that much crime around here so i don`t have to take up all these measures.I`m not stupid and i don`t have blinders on,I lived in the city of Chicago for several years and know whats up.I guess thats why I moved,you cant put a price on peace of mind.Happy Holidays to all at CAC.

I just disabled my door opener. It hadn't worked correctly since we bought the house. I always slide the bolt on my door into the rails so that there's no chance of the door coming open on its own. My wife has her studio out in the vette's room too so there's a lot of stuff that we'd rather not see sprout feet & walk away. The door itself is pretty light to lift.

kevoinc said:
Omg......i never unplug mine......I close the door thats is behind my vette which is covered.........I leave the other side open so my dog can get water and food which is in the garage,I do it close it about 10 pm each night when i bring my dog in.................I really feel sorry for all you people who live where i guess there is a lot of crime.security cameras???throwing breakers at night????yikes....egads......I`m sure glad I don`t have to live that way......people around here call me paranoid because I lock the doors of my house and take the keys out of my car.(my corvette doesnt have the keys in it and it is locked) There just isn`t that much crime around here so i don`t have to take up all these measures.I`m not stupid and i don`t have blinders on,I lived in the city of Chicago for several years and know whats up.I guess thats why I moved,you cant put a price on peace of mind.Happy Holidays to all at CAC.

It's not that we live in any kind of high crime area, I just look at it as why give someone the chance to get in there, on two bays ,one where the vette is I unplug both openers and on the third one where the "Z" is I leave that one on. Since I don't have the roaming code type on my openers, it's possible for someone to get in their when I'm not home. Since this is a heated garage I just don't want the doors to somehow open and have the heaters going non stop until someone comes home, wouldn't take long in 20 degree weather to drain a 120 gal propane tank. Could be something simple as a switch shorting out and opening the doors on there own.

The control pads for my doors each have a "Lock" button on them; you push the button, and it kills the RF receivers in the openers and trips a relay that opens the 120V circuit to the motors so they can't be activated electronically. The service door and windows are all alarmed from the house system, which communicates with the monitoring center via HF radio with battery backup (the outside phone wire is the first thing burglars cut).
:duh

We have a Biligerent Internal Guardian Dormant On-command Grounds Security, B.I.G. D.O.G.S....... she's 98 lbs

;)

vettepilot

Ha. Ha..My two favorite guards are always on duty smith & wesson

Ahh, Smith & Wesson... the two most trusted names in home and homeland security.
:r

vettepilot

Ahh, Colt (the mosted trusted name in any kind of security)!! I shut down every night.

Snick, snick--Remington 870, the most feared sound in burglary. Not much crime around here, so I keep mine closed but don't kill the circuit at night.

AmosF16:

:eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole Naturally......If I had the Monitor and the Merrimac livin in front of my garage.........well:J :J :J :J

Guys, Garage doors "DO NOT" open up on their own. It just does not and cannot happen. There is a reason that your door opens up without you hitting a button. Either there is a faulty button on the wall, a faulty wire, a broken remote, or something in the area is on the same radio frequency. If you opener doesn't have rolling code technology.....it's time to replace it with a newer and better quality operator. After that there is absolutely no reason to unplug it unless it breaks and I mean for any reason. If you do this you are simply wasting your time and energy.

I shut the side my vette is in with the lockout switch during storage time :v

Funny thing happened one day. The electric light utility truck was in front of the house and the garage door went up. Then it started down. It seemed everytime he clicked the mike on the two way radio the garage door would go up or down. Thats the only time it happened, but if I go on vacation or gone for a couple of days I definitly 'kill the power'. The garage the Corvette is in has no power door opener and is always padlocked from the inside as well.

As I was leaving my garage today for some reason I remembered this thread... somebody waaaay back in the beginning mentioned that sometimes they would come home and the door would be open.
I got to thinking, the most likely cause(s) for that would be as follows: 1. Misadjusted or misaligned electric eye for the safety
stop.
2. Misadjusted down force safety switch, (set too light).
3. Somebody else in the household opened it and forgot
to close it.
4. A defective wall switch
5. Somebody transmittes on an FM frequency that just happens to be the same one the door reciever is waiting for... hardly ever happens, but when it does it can probably be quite disconcerting to think that somebody could gain entry that way.

Events such as power outages or surges are rather unlikely to cause the opener to just react on it's own, although it could happen if there is a defective component. So that brings us full circle to it doesn't happen unless there is a defective component.
And just try to find out who did leave it open... forget it, nobody will fess up to that act...:L :L the dog always get blamed

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

vettepilot

When I had my door installed, had them add sliding locks on both sides of the door.....then when wee are gone for a couple of days...lock them from the inside.....that way it stays locked and gives me some piece of mind...
tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom