Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Gauge Problems

atmmac

Corvette
1997 Black Corvette
Well this has happened to me twice. Today and 2 weeks ago. I get on the highway and im driving for a while and i go over a slight hill on the highway. Both times i had 3/4 a tank of gas. The guage goes right down to E and the Low fuel and Check Gages Light comes on and stays on. Then about 45 mins to an hour later im driving home and all is fine. Whats the story here?

Thanks,
-Andy

atmmac,

This is a very, very common problem with C5's. My C5 has been repaired by Mr. Goodwrench twice for the problem (once under the new car warranty and then under the GMPP that cost me a $100.00 deductible).

Check the Tech Center above (knowledgebase). There are numerous TSB's that involve replacing fuel modules, strainers, reprogramming the computer, etc.

If you do not have an extended warranty, be prepared for a huge repair bill. GM has been aware of this problem for years and their delay in finding a proper "fix" has cost C5 owners.

Good luck.

yeah i had a feeling i knew the fuel sending unit was a problem but with 16k miles i didnt really think it would be happening this soon. I should start looking into an extended warranty ive already spent almost 2 grand on issues for my 16k car.

Thanks For Your Help,
-Andy

My 03 needed a fuel sending unit replacement before it was a year old. I'm hoping that this one lasts a little longer!

I wonder if it can be converted to the late 03/04 fuel system?

Not sure you want to do that, I think they moved the fuel filter into the tank in 04, which should be real cheap to replace later:eyerole

I have had some issues with my tank as well. I have been told that using Chevron Techtron for two tanks helps. I am on my second tank now, but haven't been able to get out in the car much. So far so good though. Might be worth a try for $6.

$300? to fix my problem they had to replace all the electronics in both tanks. The bill was $1300. I've heard of the Techron trick. I got my 'vett used and don't know what the other guy did for gas, but I always put either Chevron or Texaco in my tank and it still happened to me about 2 months after I bought it. It had 32K miles on it and happened on my first road trip. My wife was freaked out since we were in the absolute middle of nowhere on Vancouver Island BC (Canada) and 30 miles to the nearest house. It made for a good war story, but put a damper on the trip.

have someone/dealer REFLASH your PCM - took care of my problems with gas gauge in my 2001 Z06

I rekomend Injectioncleaner BG44K. I has helped me and a lot of other owners. It´s stronger then the other stuff.
Max

They tried to re-flash the ecm for me. The only reason I went for the final fix was because the re-flash didn't work and I had put techron in the car and that didn't work. So far it's going okay. Goodwrench warranty better be for life. My wife was having a fit about the expenses to get the cars 'ghost' problems fixed. I also had a drivers Door Control Module go out and the FOB and Body Control module go out. All told I think I had about $3000 in repairs this last year. It was a used car with 35K on it. I turned down the 70K mile 7 year bumper to bumper extended warranty for $2000 they offered me when I bought it. I've bought them before and it was a rip off. I regret not getting it this time though, I would have been money ahead. It's only money and someone has to spend it to keep the economy going. Good luck on getting it fixed. - Ron

Just got back from my first real road trip. Bought the car new10 weeks ago. I filled up at Chevron and 5 minutes later gauge went to EMPTY. I pulled over, shut off the car, re-seated the fuel cap and took off again, guage went to half tank for a while then dropped to Empty again. When I arrived at the hotel I was staying at, I shut off the car to get my room set up, when I came out and started it again, all was normal. I had just turned 2100 miles on the odometer when this occured.

Does anyone know what the latest fix is to date? I know intermittent problems are the most difficult to diagnose correctly.

Mmy C5 did this about 6 month ago and it has 67,000 miles on her. I switched over to Mobil and it has not done it since.

atmmac said:
Well this has happened to me twice. Today and 2 weeks ago. I get on the highway and im driving for a while and i go over a slight hill on the highway. Both times i had 3/4 a tank of gas. The guage goes right down to E and the Low fuel and Check Gages Light comes on and stays on. Then about 45 mins to an hour later im driving home and all is fine. Whats the story here?

Thanks,
-Andy

My 97 is doing the same thing when I fill it up after it goes down some it is fine, I reset my trip each time I fill, but the first time it happened it was a real shocker. About 1/2 hour after I picked it up on the way home (200 miles away),
what is techron and where do I get it :confused
thanks
Craig sr

Chevron echron is a fuel additive that cleans out your fuel system. You can get it at any auto store usually. Also switch your brand of gas. One of the reasons mine started doing it was because i changed brands. I highly recommend Sunoco 93.

Good Luck,
-Andy

I purchased my 2001 new and it now has 15,200 miles on it. At 10,000 miles the gas gauge started giving me 1/2 full readings and then suddenly it would drop to empty. The dealer recalibrated the computer and fixed the problem. It started again today. Unfortunately, the car is now out of warranty. I called my dealer, described the problem and was advised to contact GM for relief before bringing it into the dealer for repair. If this turns into an expensive repair job and GM won't give me satisfaction I may forego the repair and just start resetting the trip meter at each fill up to monitor the gas supply.

atmmac said:
try the techron it may work.
I plan to try the techron. I just read the service bulletin on my model year for this problem. It recommends switching gasoline brands as the sulphur content in the gas I'm using could have caused the problem. Normally I use Exxon or Shell but my wife recently drove the car, filled it up and who knows what brand she put in! Of course, I would never blame her but I'm highly suspicious!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom