Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gear Heads .... HP thoughts?

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
I have several old blocks and heads laying around and have been thinkking of doing something with at least some of them. The blocks are all old two bolt main 350's, the heads are from an old chevy truck ('79 165HP?) plus a set from an old Impala (70?). I also have a set of old Chevy Double Hump heads that I paid like 6 bills for YEARS ago. These are not the 2.02/ 1.60 but the 1.94/1.50 versions ... not sure of the casting numbers, I'm thinking they are the 461's and not the more desirable 492's. I will check tommorrow cos now I'm curious.

Anyway I was looking thru some old info I had printed out and I found some flow numbers that had the double hump heads and the "new" Gen II LT-1 heads looking almost identical. No mention of casting numbers which I know can vary greatly. I tried to pull up the site but it no longer existed.

So here's my thought ... take the double hump heads with a crate aluminum short block a modified LT-1 intake and all the necessary wiring/computer/harnesses. What would you're thoughts be on this combination? The doublehump heads were using a carb, but were good to around 6K right about the area that the LT-1 intake shows improvements over the TPI intake. What would be a guesstimate as to TQ/ HP numbers?

I wanted to use this head for a build up of a '79 K-5 Blazer (383, possible FI) but realized I would be better off with low end torque vs. top end HP in this application, so the heads have been sitting on the shelf since (way too many years). :hb BTW the K5 is still sitting waiting for a heart.:duh

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

:pat
:CAC

Lots of 2 bolt blocks out there so that's not a problem. You have 300hp 327 heads. Use 327/350hp cam with 9:1 pistons and get easy 300hp. Could even use a crank out of a 307 and have a "big main bearing" 327. Stay away from the hi-tech stuff and you should have a cheap build.

Heads

OK this is what I've found out about these heads. Casting # 3890462 Cast date J146. These are 1966-1967 302/327/350 camel hump, no accessory holes, 64cc heads .... the cast date means that they were cast (not assembled) on Oct. 14, 1966 .... three months before me :L .

One of the heads has a 23 next to one of the spark plug holes the other has a 14 in the same location. Any body got an idea of what these two cast numbers mean? They are cast 'cos they are raised numbers vs stamped in.

Grizzly,
Thanks for your input ... thats what I was thinking myself. I noticed a while back that Crane (I think it was) or maybe Comp Cams started reproducing the old Chevy 327ci/350hp grind ... that with the short intake runner length of the modified gen II LT1 intake ... all in the fresh .030 over 350 and I should have around 350hp for under a grand including the price of the new intake. I guess these are the 327/300hp heads due to the port sizes? I know they are 1.94/1.5 cos I made the guy knock the price down when I bought them. He told me they were 2.02/1.60's but a micrometer doesn't lie.

Thanks again

:pat
:CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom