Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gen 3 Vs Gen 4???

93Rubie

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
Not sure where is best to post this, I would put it in the general corvette discussion but I'm not sure it would get seen. So someone knowledgeable will find this.

I totally understand the differences between the Gen. 1 SBC, Gen. 2(LT1/LT4/L99), and the Gen 3.(LS1/LS6) engines. However, as I have read many times in print in both non GM and GM literature that the LS2, LS3,LS-etc...are Gen. 4 engines.

I don't see how you can consider the LS2, LS3, etc...engines Gen. 4 engines. How much more are they different from LS1, LS6 engines to be considered a new Generation?. I mean the differences between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 are huge. A Gen 2 and a Gen 3 are even bigger differences. SO what makes them think that the LS2, LS3,etc...are Gen 4 engines. What is the big differences between them and the Gen 3s????

Personally, I think it is BS, and LS-X is called an LS-X for a reason its a based on the LS family therefore a Gen 3. If Gen 4 is so different then why didn't they get a new engine designation rather than using LS-X.

Basically a larger displacement made up Gen 4 engines, but also some internal changes. The magazine Corvette Enthusiast, May and June '10 issues (LSX spotters guide), have a pretty decent description of Gen 4 and other LSX engines. The LSX series can be confusing.

Basically a larger displacement made up Gen 4 engines, but also some internal changes. The magazine Corvette Enthusiast, May and June '10 issues (LSX spotters guide), have a pretty decent description of Gen 4 and other LSX engines. The LSX series can be confusing.

So they created a new Generation based on some internal changes and larger displacement? Why? Isn't that what different engine designations are for ie. LS1 versus LS2 or LS3?

I think that is stupid to call them Gen 4's with such little changes compared to when they changed generations previously ie. Gen 2 to Gen 3. Get what I'm saying? Then again maybe I'm just beating a dead...:BDH

So they created a new Generation based on some internal changes and larger displacement? Why? Isn't that what different engine designations are for ie. LS1 versus LS2 or LS3?

I think that is stupid to call them Gen 4's with such little changes compared to when they changed generations previously ie. Gen 2 to Gen 3. Get what I'm saying? Then again maybe I'm just beating a dead...:BDH

Yes, you are beating a dead horse as it's already happened, but I do get your point. Why aren't you upset about the LS numbers being out of order also? :cool

Well, know that you mention it, yes I am. I mean did LS5 and LS8 fall off the planet or what? LS4 is that darn front wheel drive application engine.

[1 SBC, Gen. 2(LT1/LT4/L99] "mentioned in first post"

Did I miss something, was there a L99, I thought there was a L98, if so , geez Ya learn something new everyday.:thumb

Yeah, if I recall correctly it was a 4.3L V8 used in caprices and such.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom