Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM Recalling 1.4M Cars; Oil Leaks Can Cause Engine Fires

kpic

Corvette
1997 boosted silver coupe
GM Recalling 1.4M Cars; Oil Leaks Can Cause Engine Fires

By TOM KRISHER, AP AUTO WRITER
DETROIT — Oct 27, 2015, 11:15 AM ET

For the third time in seven years, General Motors is recalling cars that can leak oil and catch fire, in some instances damaging garages and homes.

The recall, which covers 1.4 million vehicles dating to the 1997 model year, is needed because repairs from the first two recalls didn't work. More than 1,300 cars caught fire after they were fixed by dealers, the company said.

In the previous recalls, in 2008 and 2009, GM told owners to park the cars outside until repairs can be made since most of the fires happened shortly after drivers turned off the engines. A spokesman was checking to see if the same recommendation applies this time.

In addition, GM will notify owners of 500,000 more cars that were not repaired in the previous recalls, spokesman Alan Adler said.

The latest recall, mainly in North America, includes: the 1997-2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Regal; the 2000-2004 Chevrolet Impala; the 1998 and 1999 Chevrolet Lumina and Oldsmobile Intrigue; and the 1998-2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. All have 3.8-liter V6 engines.

For the rest of the article:
GM Recalling 1.4M Cars; Oil Leaks Can Cause Engine Fires - ABC News

"Since we have not decided on the remedy, we do not know whether the cost will result in a material charge to earnings," he said.

That about says it all. GM hasn't yet decided on the cheapest way to get out of this nagging little issue............;)

As a former 45 year design engineering type; I find their answer to be an embarrassing admission of a lack of engineering skill.

When a component fails; it get fixed, period and usually with something expensive. Then the design team and the test teams burn the candle from both ends until they find a less expensive alternative.
The issue is put to bed and GM's statement is as lame as it gets.

That gasket leak has been known about for 20 years, and has been a source of dealer revenue that is significant and on-going. It's a rare 3.8 that hasn't had the leaks, and some have had three sets of gaskets. One independent used car dealer I know used to replace the gaskets on every 3.8 before they hit the lot. GM has been aware of the issue, and continued to produce hundreds of thousands of cars to add to the problem. GM's advice to park the cars outside is both hilarious and pitiful. BTW, that motor with the leaky valve cover gaskets has been used by GM for over 50 years, since 1962. The engine won't go out without leaving a mark; Wikipedia calls it "one of the most-produced engines in history," with more than 25 million having rolled off the assembly line. And the valve cover gaskets leak!

GM has ignored issues before, and continues to do it. (think C7 issues, and C6 issues with seats, ignition locks and crank bolts, etc) What I find astonishing is that they couldn't come up with a fix for a leaky gasket - a frickin' leaky gasket - in 15 years. They can't be that inept, so I have to think they did it on purpose - VW mentality.

I don't get it.

Last edited:
That gasket leak has been known about for 15 years, and has been a source of dealer revenue that is significant and on-going. It's a rare 3.8 that hasn't had the leaks, and some have had three sets of gaskets. One independent used car deal I know used to replace the gaskets on every 3.8 before they hit the lot. GM has been aware of the issue, and continued to produce hundreds of thousands of cars to add to the problem. GM's advice to park the cars outside is both hilarious and pitiful.

GM has ignored issues before, and continues to do it. (think C7 issues, and C6 issues with seats, ignition locks and crank bolts, etc) What I find astonishing is that they couldn't come up with a fix for a leaky gasket - a frickin' leaky gasket - in 15 years. They can't be that inept, so I have to think they did it on purpose - VW mentality.

I don't get it.

That is exactly where I am at on this issue.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom