Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"GM to take on future product liability claims" (but not by choice?)

Corvette
84 Z51 auto R.I.P. 89 black roadster SOLD
<cite class="vcard"> By BREE FOWLER, AP Auto Writer </cite> – <abbr title="2009-06-28T03:44:46-0700" class="timedate">Sun Jun 28, 6:44 am ET

</abbr>

NEW YORK – General Motors Corp. has agreed to take on responsibility for future product liability claims, removing what could have been a sizable roadblock on the automaker's path to a quick sale of its assets and emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy as a new company.

As part of its government-backed restructuring plan, GM wants to sell the bulk of its assets to a new company and leave behind unprofitable assets and other liabilities such as product-related lawsuits. A hearing on the proposed sale is scheduled for Tuesday.

But in a concession to consumer groups and state officials who had threatened to block the sale because of product liability concerns, the new company will now assume responsibility for future claims involving vehicles made by the old company, according to documents filed in federal bankruptcy court in New York on Friday.

Under the automaker's previous plan, "New GM" would not have assumed any liability for future claims related to GM vehicles made before the sale and creation of the new company. That meant that consumers who wanted to file a lawsuit related to a defective GM vehicle would have had to seek compensation from "Old GM," a collection of mostly unprofitable assets left over after the sale, where there likely would be nothing left to pay their claims.

But under the new plan, "New GM" will not assume liability for already pending claims against the automaker and those people will still be forced to seek compensation from "Old GM."

"The fact that 'New GM' will protect consumers injured by defective 'Old GM' cars is a positive development for public safety," The Ad Hoc Committee of Consumer Victims of Chrysler and GM said in a statement released Saturday.

But the group said more needs to be done, noting that GM's concession doesn't help people that have already been hurt by its vehicles. It also said consumers hurt by fellow automaker Chrysler LLC still have little recourse.

As part of its plan to sell most of itself to a group led by Italy's Fiat Group SpA and emerge from Chapter 11, Auburn Hills, Mich.-based Chrysler also asked the judge overseeing its case for permission to leave behind its past and future product liability claims.

Consumer groups, as well as several individuals with pending claims against Chrysler, objected and some even took their arguments to the Supreme Court before the sale was ultimately approved and the automaker emerged from court oversight shortly thereafter.

GM, which filed for Chapter 11 on June 1, has said it wants to spend no more than 60 to 90 days under bankruptcy protection and that a key part of meeting that goal will be a quick sale of the company's assets.

Under the deal brokered with President Barack Obama's administration, the U.S. government will get a 60 percent ownership stake in the new GM. The Canadian government will get 12.5 percent, with the United Auto Workers union taking a 17.5 percent share and unsecured bondholders receiving 10 percent. Existing GM shareholders are expected to be wiped out.

But even with the resolution of the product liability issues, GM still faces numerous objections to the sale, including ones filed by a group of its unsecured bondholders, a handful of states and cities and individual retirees and shareholders.
<!-- end .byline -->

Original Yahoo News article:
GM to take on future product liability claims - Yahoo! News

Some aspects of this article really bug me...

Does this mean that GM basically tried to "blow off" previous manufactured vehicles with problems that are still under warranty? Then after some heavy pressure decided to reverse that decision?

Under the deal brokered with President Barack Obama's administration, the U.S. government will get a 60 percent ownership stake in the new GM. The Canadian government will get 12.5 percent, with the United Auto Workers union taking a 17.5 percent share and unsecured bondholders receiving 10 percent. Existing GM shareholders are expected to be wiped out.

The last part of this...well I don't really understand what "unsecured bondholders" vs. "Existing shareholders" means exactly...but sounds like a lotta people are gonna lose a lotta money? I reckon that's the assumed risk in buying stock in a company?

Maybe I'm interpreting this whole article wrong....but overall it just kinda rubs me the wrong way. ;shrug

Some aspects of this article really bug me...

Does this mean that GM basically tried to "blow off" previous manufactured vehicles with problems that are still under warranty? Then after some heavy pressure decided to reverse that decision?

The last part of this...well I don't really understand what "unsecured bondholders" vs. "Existing shareholders" means exactly...but sounds like a lotta people are gonna lose a lotta money? I reckon that's the assumed risk in buying stock in a company?

Maybe I'm interpreting this whole article wrong....but overall it just kinda rubs me the wrong way. ;shrug

I don't think they were trying blow off the warranty. They want to blow off lawsuits that were filed before "New GM" is created.

Yes, anyone that owned GM stock is SOL.
Bond holders are different than stock.
Stock is variable and can go up and down. You may make money, you may loose money. It is risky.
Bonds are supposed to be a guaranteed loan: you give us X dollars today and we promise X+Y dollars in Z years.

I think at this point, GM is trying to get away with as much as possible. They were almost tricked into bankruptcy (the financial institutions got more money with fewer strings attached, so it seemed like it would be easy). Now they are where they are, and they are going to try to "blow off" anything that could hurt their profits (old contracts, pending lawsuits, debt, makes, models, employees, etc).

GM will survive, but what the world auto industry looks like in 10 years will be very different from what we see today.

Ok so we're talking about the distinction between the vehicles themselves and lawsuits that have come about due to something happening as a result of manufacturing defects among those vehicles?

That explains why the bondholders are unhappy with a mere 10%.

This just reminds me of a similar scenario (granted on a smaller scale) with a company that was a major source of income for the parent company of the one I work for. They did exactly the same thing...so basically all the money that was owed to my parent company is gone, which trickled down to put me in a world of hurt.

I just don't see the US auto industry as having a very bright future...with Ford possibly being the exception. They (Ford) seem to be in a much different (more favorable) situation. What did they do differently?

Ford's big advantage was that they took out a several billion dollar loan a couple years ago. They have been using that money to help with their recovery instead of going to Uncle Sam for a hand out.

Jason

When Bill Ford stepped down as CEO, the new guy (I can't remember his name) took out mortgages against most of the property owned by Ford.

He did this around the peak of the real estate bubble.
The result is they got a lot of cash in the bank and a nice interest rate on the property they used to own.

By the time GM and Chrysler realized they were low on cash and in trouble, the bubble had burst and nobody wanted to buy real estate (especially for an auto company).

U.S. Business

The current US economic situation is a universe of fraud, lies and deceit - fairly obvious after Enron, Worldcom, Tyco, F-Mac, F-Mae, G.Sachs, Treasury Dept, etc.
The legal business obligations of GM and Chrysler have been engineered out of existence, to the loss of thier corporate debt holders nationwide - including the pension funds of state and local gv't workers everywhere. I just struggle with how the American public continues to tolerate the most colossal theft of the age, but that's another discussion.
As for Ford - they're losing just as much sales, spending just as much in operating expenses as the other two. They hocked the farm 3 years ago - more debt, took a gv't loan in the form of a grant from the Dept. of Energy and now just got another $6Billion on the side: That's government money no matter what you call it - just like for Chry and GM, so there's no difference for Ford. I'm waiting for them to go up in wad of smoke after continuing to mismanage things, like the other two.
I just hope the Vette continues on no matter what! Thanks all.

The current US economic situation is a universe of fraud, lies and deceit - fairly obvious after Enron, Worldcom, Tyco, F-Mac, F-Mae, G.Sachs, Treasury Dept, etc.
The legal business obligations of GM and Chrysler have been engineered out of existence, to the loss of thier corporate debt holders nationwide - including the pension funds of state and local gv't workers everywhere. I just struggle with how the American public continues to tolerate the most colossal theft of the age, but that's another discussion.
As for Ford - they're losing just as much sales, spending just as much in operating expenses as the other two. They hocked the farm 3 years ago - more debt, took a gv't loan in the form of a grant from the Dept. of Energy and now just got another $6Billion on the side: That's government money no matter what you call it - just like for Chry and GM, so there's no difference for Ford. I'm waiting for them to go up in wad of smoke after continuing to mismanage things, like the other two.
I just hope the Vette continues on no matter what! Thanks all.

We Americans are just like some down on their luck idiots, who gave the thieves the keys to our big bank vault and now after they've clean us out, have handed back the keys to an empty bank vault and we're sitting here moaning to anyone who'll listen about our woes. Each and every one of us deserve what we got. Greed is what fueled our failure, Happy trails Rick Wagoner ! spend all that money on yourself and have a good time. You deserve everything you stole.

<CITE class=vcard> </CITE>Under the deal brokered with President Barack Obama's administration, the U.S. government will get a 60 percent ownership stake in the new GM. The Canadian government will get 12.5 percent, with the United Auto Workers union taking a 17.5 percent share and unsecured bondholders receiving 10 percent. Existing GM shareholders are expected to be wiped out.

But even with the resolution of the product liability issues, GM still faces numerous objections to the sale, including ones filed by a group of its unsecured bondholders, a handful of states and cities and individual retirees and shareholders.

This is the part that bothers me the most. The Obama admistration has no authority to broker any deal. They have become involved where they don't belong and these individuals are taking the agreement to court basically seeking an order from the court telling Obama as much.

The other provisions about trnasferring liabilities, etc., is pretty standard fare in any bankruptcy.

Ford's big advantage was that they took out a several billion dollar loan a couple years ago. They have been using that money to help with their recovery instead of going to Uncle Sam for a hand out.

Jason

Which makes me respect Ford more... even if the folks who drive them (Mustang owners) are a bit crass...

:chuckle

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom