Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM: Vette will survive

MarkP

Corvette

Rick Kranz
Automotive News
September 21, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

As the federal government ratchets up fuel economy standards, General Motors Co. says it will do whatever it takes to keep the Chevrolet Corvette -- even a hybrid powertrain.

"We will only do a hybrid if that is what is required to maintain the vehicle," says Tom Stephens, GM's vice chairman of global product development. "I think we have a pretty good plan right now that probably will not require a hybrid in the near term."

New regulations require a company average of 35.5 mpg in the 2016 model year.

To boost fuel economy, GM plans to reduce the Corvette's weight, offer tires with less rolling resistance and offer an engine with direct injection, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation. Electric power steering alone could add about 0.5 mpg.

The base 2010 Corvette coupe has a 430-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 that gets 16 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.

As for a smaller engine, Stephens says, "I don't believe that we need to do a six-cylinder engine in a Corvette at this time.

Meanwhile, Stephens says GM is no longer considering a unibody pickup like the Honda Ridgeline. c

It's great that GM will continue to keep this American Icon alive.
With today's technology seems like they can make anything happen.

I certainly hope the vette never goes to a unibody. That is a horrible direction in my opinion to even think of going.

Rick Kranz
Automotive News
September 21, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

As the federal government ratchets up fuel economy standards, General Motors Co. says it will do whatever it takes to keep the Chevrolet Corvette -- even a hybrid powertrain.

"We will only do a hybrid if that is what is required to maintain the vehicle," says Tom Stephens, GM's vice chairman of global product development. "I think we have a pretty good plan right now that probably will not require a hybrid in the near term."

New regulations require a company average of 35.5 mpg in the 2016 model year.

To boost fuel economy, GM plans to reduce the Corvette's weight, offer tires with less rolling resistance and offer an engine with direct injection, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation. Electric power steering alone could add about 0.5 mpg.

The base 2010 Corvette coupe has a 430-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 that gets 16 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.

As for a smaller engine, Stephens says, "I don't believe that we need to do a six-cylinder engine in a Corvette at this time.

Meanwhile, Stephens says GM is no longer considering a unibody pickup like the Honda Ridgeline. c
Why dont you ask congress and the Prez how much fuel economy the limos get? I am sure the Prez limo with all the armor gets great miliage. I always heard in the Navy Lead by example!

Depends, I wouldn't mind a carbon fiber monocoque. :D

I agree with ErnieN85 100%. There is a massive amount of or new technology that could be installed on a upcoming Corvette, Like direct injection, or DOD, 'displacement on demand' and ceramic disks or rotors and more use of carbon fiber. There's a lot of room for improving the corvette without leaving the basic "Corvette" stays a real Corvette ! But we have to be willing to accept the whole new technology ! Corvette started life with a six cylinder, and I'd be one who wasn't scared by the prospect of a six cylinder again, But one that's able to put out 400 hp and some real heavy duty torque numbers?

the GT-2 race corvettes already run direct injection. after the other makes in their class bitched about it because corvette was not to use the DI till 2010 they ran the last races with port injection.

the GT-2 race corvettes already run direct injection. after the other makes in their class bitched about it because corvette was not to use the DI till 2010 they ran the last races with port injection.

...and kicked a$$ to the point where Burgmeister's Porsche was in the way at the end of the Leguna Seca race.

Two things:
>What is the final disposition of the crash that Burgmeister caused?

>The Vette team runs the GM 5.8L engine next year, right? D.I.?

Thanks!!

Keep dreaming.
The vette as we know it (American, affordable, performance, durable) is toast!!
if it survives, and it will somewhat, it will become an American Bugatti. Very expensive handbuilt low production etc. then all you guys will get your wish lists fufilled. you will have the carbon fiber, mid engine, direct injection, 6cyl. dual turbo, 36mpg, vette you want at a base cost of ONLY $175++k.
Be careful what you wish for.:boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom