Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good set of tools to start with

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Convertible
As a follow up to my service manual thread I would like to know what would be a good idea to buy in the way of tools for working on the car. I have a few sockets, regular and metric, and some screwdrivers, but other than that I don't have anything.

My first thought was to buy what I need as I go, but I thought if I posed the question here I would get many responses with hints as to what are the best tools to have on hand.

Thanks again for the suggestions!:)

:w

One of the most favorite "new" tools I've picked up is a set of metric and standard "Gear Wrenchs" it is amazing how handy these box end wrenches are. There are still situations that you need a regular box end (bleeding hydraulics) but other times the gear in them makes them more than handy.

Just my $.02

Hrtbeat1 said:
One of the most favorite "new" tools I've picked up is a set of metric and standard "Gear Wrenchs" it is amazing how handy these box end wrenches are. There are still situations that you need a regular box end (bleeding hydraulics) but other times the gear in them makes them more than handy.

Just my $.02

I got a set of those for my B´day a few years back, They are great.

Unless you go for Snap-On Craftsman are hard to beat. Wait for the Memorial day sale and you will be able to buy a complete set at a great price.:lou

Snap on and craftsman are the way to go, if you're on a tight budget then go to K-mart and buy thier benchtop tools, same warrenty as craftsman (as long as you own them) at about half the price.

Other tools I would consider are a set of star torques, a digital multi meter (sears has a decent one on sale for $9.99 frequently), good set of allen wrenches, several crescent wrenches in different sizes and a good set of lock jaw pliers in several sizes.

As long as you already have decent american and metric socket sets with 12 point and six point sockets and a good set of screwdrivers in various lenths and sizes both flat tip and phillips, you should be good to go.

koolaid117 said:
As a follow up to my service manual thread I would like to know what would be a good idea to buy in the way of tools for working on the car. I have a few sockets, regular and metric, and some screwdrivers, but other than that I don't have anything.

My first thought was to buy what I need as I go, but I thought if I posed the question here I would get many responses with hints as to what are the best tools to have on hand.

Thanks again for the suggestions!:)

Nut drivers both metric and american are great to have around. Also don't forget to have a nice size C-clamp around for doing brakes. Wratchet box wrenches with an open end are great also ... they really cut down on the bulk the older tools used to have. :w

you can never have enough tools, I got my first set at about 14 when a great uncle passed away (Craftsman) and actually have a few left. fourty plus years later I am still buying tools, If you dont work on a lot of older stuff I would buy mostly metric. It pays to have more then one of each size.

the best tool purchase I have made was a two post lift, at my age Concrete has gotten much colder ;LOL

I agree you cant go wrong with Craftsman.

I like those sets that Craftsman has.

Getting universals is also a good idea along with a set of bolt out and screw outs. The bolt out and screw outs are Craftsman made. When you have a stripped bolt or screw, those things work wonders!

You'll need extensions as well.

Breaker bar is nice to have.:D

Are we going to start talking about compressors now?:D

I have accumulated a lot of hand tools over the years, but invariably always find myself having to run down to Sears or Checker to pick up a tool that I don't have, right in the middle of a repair. A full set of metric and SAE sockets, regular and deep, 3/8"-1/4"-1/2" drive ratchet handles, an adapter so you can use different sockets on different ratchets, several different extensions in 3/8"-1/4"-1/2", a full set of torx bits, a full set of combination box end/open end wrenches in metric and SAE, and some flare nut wrenches for gas lines, brake lines, a/c lines. I think these tools can probably fix most of the stuff on your car, but if I were starting out I would not buy my tools piecemeal the way I have, but I would buy the best set of Craftsman tools that I could afford. They are expensive, but after a couple of repairs they pay for themselves in the amount you'll save in labor costs if you took your car to a mechanic. The most difficult repair I ever made on my car is replacing the front spring, but it was accomplished with basic hand tools. I saved $500 in labor, based on the quote I got.

I want to add that a lot of car repairs are extremely easy. Changing brake pads is so simple I could do it blindfolded. Same thing with shocks.

Edmond said:
Are we going to start talking about compressors now?:D
With your extensions and my compressors we should start a partnership. Heck we could fix anything from the Crack of Dawn to the Break of Day.;LOL

I have a complete set of air tools that I bought after the Arthritis set in. They make it possible for me to wrench for hours with out too much pain.:upthumbs BOSS is right about the lift as well. How did I ever crawl under a car on jack stands? Just looking at a Creeper gives me the creeps.:ugh
KOPBET – when I bought the Go-Kart track the mechanic did not know what a torque wrench was – or how to use one. Would you like to guess how many threads were stripped out of the aluminum castings? While you’re at it you can guess how many days, hours, or seconds he was employed after the purchase.:W

tools

The first thing I would buy is a REALLY big oil drain pan,for the huge amount of oil your going to have to drain out doing the first oil change in that thing!!!;LOL

For interior work you should have a full set of 1/4 in drive metric and standard in regular and deepwell. A swivel helps a lot.
You also need torx all sizes it seems.

SPANISHVETTS said:
With your extensions and my compressors we should start a partnership. Heck we could fix anything from the Crack of Dawn to the Break of Day.;LOL

Yeah, but it still wouldn't hurt to have an unlimited budget like Ken.:D

One of my most valuable tools is a 1/2" drive breaker bar. It takes a lot of stress off my joints when loosening bolts and lug nuts. A lot of 9/16" and bigger bolts come off easily with a twist of the breaker bar, and would require a lot of strength to get off with a standard socket wrench handle. Great for brake caliper bolts, lug nuts, turning the crank, head bolts, and any rusted bolts and nuts.

WOW!! :eek Thanks for all the responses!! My first project on the vette to tackle is going to be changing the battery. I understand it isn't that hard, and I just don't want to screw it up. Later this summer I am going to change the weatherstipping in the rear hatch. Other than that, I'll just have to see. At least I feel very reassured knowing that if I should run into any problems that someone here has had the same thing before.

Hi Koolaid117, I would add two things to the 'must have' list. I got these at sears @ decent prices but a Z owner needs at least one of these.

1. Mity-vac hand vacuum pump. I got two, one for vacuum problem diagnosis & one for doing fluid extraction & bleeding on the brake sys.
2. A hand operated suction gun. I used this to do lubricant oil like suck the rear end fluid out & the P/S fluid & it works to put fluids back in too, like on the tranny & rear.

The tubing that comes with these tools is all rolled up & is a pain to work with unless you soak it in some hot water to relax it & then it is easier to work with.:) Tom.

I couldn't resist!!

354RwHpLT4CE said:
The first thing I would buy is a REALLY big oil drain pan,for the huge amount of oil your going to have to drain out doing the first oil change in that thing!!!;LOL

I couldn't agree more!!! I thought the Exxon Valdize sprung a leak in my garage.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom