Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Goodyear D3's for the C6

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Howdy,

I was under the assumption that Goodyear did not make the "D3" in regular C6 sizes but it turns out they do and in run-flat versions.

I have been using the "matching sets" feature of tirerack.com to find tires and coming up with nothing but Goodyear makes the F1 GS-D3 EMT in 245/40/18 and the F1 GS-D3 ROF in 285/35/19. The problem with tirerack.com is that the EMT-ROF label is treated as different tires and not considered matching sets when, in fact, they are matching sets.

Tirerack.com even has a page on their website saying so: Extended Mobility Technology (EMT) vs. RunOnFlat (ROF) Tires

Of course, the D3's ain't cheap but they are fantastic tires in both wet or dry. I think I'll have my new set of Michelin tires moved over to my wive's Vette and I'll put the "matching set" of D3's on my car next year.

Just thought I'd pass this on for those that are looking for a set of high performance tires that last longer than the F1 SuperCar tires and also work in the rain.

Tuna,

I'll be interested to know how these work for ya. A co-worker put on a set of Michelins and likes them a lot. Myself I have decided to go with the Firestone Wide Oval RFT. Don't have them on yet but sometime in the next couple months ready for spring.

Tuna,

I'll be interested to know how these work for ya. A co-worker put on a set of Michelins and likes them a lot. Myself I have decided to go with the Firestone Wide Oval RFT. Don't have them on yet but sometime in the next couple months ready for spring.

New D3's will have to wait a bit now. I bought a set of PS2's for the '08 earlier this year because I didn't ask the right questions at the Goodyear place and the wive's Vette isn't ready for new tires yet.

I've used D3's on my C4 and my CTS-V and loved them. Oh well.

After sending tirerack.com an email asking why their site doesn't show the D3 as a matching set of tires for the C6, they 'fixed' their site so that it would treat the D3 EMT and D3 RoF as 'matching' tires.

So, if you go to tirerack.com and select matching sets for your C6 (non-Z06/ZR1/GS), the D3 will show as a matching set of tires.

This is great news. I had GS-D3s on my C5 and I loved them. Last year when it came time to replace my '08s original tires I bought the Firestone Wide Ovals. They are good tires but had I known that I could get D3 EMTs I would have gone that way.

Im coming up on 19k miles on the OEM tires and will be replacing this spring. Elsewhere on the forum folks were praising the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S.

I live in VA and drive the car to work at times. So I get rained on. The Vette can get a bit squirrely in the wet and it's disconcerting to have the rear end going faster than the front end.

Any opinions here? I'm all ears.

Im coming up on 19k miles on the OEM tires and will be replacing this spring. Elsewhere on the forum folks were praising the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S.

I live in VA and drive the car to work at times. So I get rained on. The Vette can get a bit squirrely in the wet and it's disconcerting to have the rear end going faster than the front end.

Any opinions here? I'm all ears.

Depends on what OEMs you have now. If you have a Z51 or Z06 with Goodyear Supercars, almost anything will have better wet weather traction. If you have the standard tire, improvement with another tire will be much less noticeable. I've had most every available late model Vette tire, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in the rain, except in very cold weather, when tires labeled "summer" begin to really start losing traction - even in a straight line. My all weather run flat Bridgestones Pole Positions are as good, or better than anything I've had. I'll replace them with another set when the time comes.

Depends on what OEMs you have now. If you have a Z51 or Z06 with Goodyear Supercars, almost anything will have better wet weather traction. If you have the standard tire, improvement with another tire will be much less noticeable. I've had most every available late model Vette tire, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in the rain, except in very cold weather, when tires labeled "summer" begin to really start losing traction - even in a straight line. My all weather run flat Bridgestones Pole Positions are as good, or better than anything I've had. I'll replace them with another set when the time comes.

Much thanks. I only wish I had an '06 or '51. It's just a base convertible with the 3LT option .... but it's MINE !!!!! :rotfl

Well, hell - It seems that Goodyear didn't sell enough of the F1 GS-D3 tires in run-flat to keep making them in C6 sizes. So, D3s are no longer available for the C6. Oh well.

Part of GY's problem is that the front tires were tagged as EMT and the rear tires as ROF (or vice versa) which meant that they didn't show up as matched sets in many tire company searches. Which meant that many people didn't know that RMT and ROF are the same. Tire Rack finally got them paired up as being the same only to have GY stop producing them. Pretty stupid on GY's part if you ask me.

That leaves us with either GS2 EMT's or SuperCar tires from GY for the C6 - or switch to Michelin or some other company for a run-flat. Both the Michelin PS2 and the GY SuperCar tires don't last very long and don't work that good in the rain. The GY GS2 is better in the rain but not as good as the SuperCar in the dry. The Michelin PS2 AS AP is pretty good in the rain but has a lot less dry grip.

I really liked the D3s on my CTS V because the were very good in the dry and also very good in the rain and lasted 2.5 times longer than SuperCar tires. I was hoping to get a set for the C6 but noooooo.

The Goodyears work ok, for the first 1500-1800 miles, then they become ice skates. If you have to drive in any wet conditions, try the Firestone wide oval RF's. They channel water a lot better than Goodyears via deeper tire grooves.

Besides, the Firestones can be had for $1000/set. What's that? 2/3rds the price of GY's?

For the price of GY's, I'd buy Michy's (in fact, I did!)

The Goodyears work ok, for the first 1500-1800 miles

Just to be clear, which Goodyear tires are you talking about? The F1 GS2s that come on the base Vettes, The F1 SuperCar tires that come on the Z51 cars, or the F1 GS D3 that I've been talking about?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom