Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

got smoked this weekend by a wrx

N

nick

well i bit off more than i could chew this weekend in my 95 vette, i raced one of those new subaru wrx's. this guy smoked me off the line and pulled away from me until about 80 mph(about 5 -6 car lengths ahead. then i couldn't catch him and he wasnt pulling away anymore. we did this all the way to 130 mph. when we got into town he pulled in to get gas and i asked him how he had modified the car and he said all he had was a catback exhaust and a k&n filter. i will stray away from these things from now on.

Yeah....a buddy of mine has one. I just wanna slap him.:SLAP Or maybe I'll take my baby to Lingenfelter. :L

Just remeber that there is always someone out there who is faster. It is just a matter of money.

Mike

Those WRX's are a love/hate thing for me. I love rally racing which the 'Subs are burning up the circuit but hate them because of stories like above....

I would like to race one with about 50 to 75 K on the ode...

Hey Nick, I see your profile only indicates USA for location. Any chance you live in the Jacksonville area? If so, you might have run into the same dude that tried to blitz me. His was bright blue, the fellow was maybe in his 20 to early 30s.

I know for a fact I could have never caught and passed the fellow had it not been for my extensive mods on the car. If you saw my other thread about a call to arms, us against them....then you would see how much passion this Jap car vs. US Sports car rages.

Sorry you got spanked. No worries, I will keep my eye out for him.....:bu

We have a lot of those things here in the Netherlands. 240hp till 285hp. I am not impressed. Above 110 mph it is done, you can fly thrue corners with it. I never lose from those things, maby when you have a automatic......

JT, you've probably seen one and not known it - they're the ultimate stealth car (given that Subes for years have had hood scoops anyway). You can even get one as a 5-door wagon!

Johnny, I know people who've taken their mostly-stock rex's to about 135 before the engine runs out of power (aerodynamics are rather poor on that car). Hopefully we'll get the STi version (as rumor suggests) next year, which will run about 280 hp on pump gas in stock form (place in Australia has one of these that puts out over 400 hp with some simple mods; the STi engine comes with hardened internals stock).

I just wish they were a bit bigger - I'd love the wagon (family of 4) to replace my Outback when it dies, but it's too small.
[RICHR]

I have alot of buddys in the VW/AUDI groops and alot of them with the all wheel drive quatro they have told me many storys of hoped up wrx's and they all die, I mean have nothing left after 3rd gear(stock they only have 179 or 189 hp @ the crank, or so I have heard) They are also verry mechanicly unstable the motors blow up if you play with them too much ( I know that if you play with any turbo motor too much it will blow, but this guy got a 16G mistu turbo and put it on his wrx and blew the motor in 12k mi!!!) Its only 4 more PSI!!!!

WRX has 227 hp stock from a 2.0l turbo/TMIC engine (217 lb-ft of torque). 2.5RS has 165 hp (normally aspirated). Now I'd believe nothing left after 4th gear, but I've driven a (bone stock) WRX and 4th has decent power at higher RPMs (ie, 5500+, just after where my Vette dies). Of course, if you're driving an auto WRX, it's only 4-speed :).

Now regarding longevity, anyone can blow an engine if they don't know what they're doing... regarding this 16G turbo, how do you know it was only four more PSI? Stock WRX is 14.2 PSI with a blow-off valve to regulate it. One of the first mods a new owner usually makes is to change or modify the BOV to 16 PSI. 18-20 isn't uncommon for more modified WRX's (FMIC, better engine management system, etc). With any turbocharged engine, knock/lean run is DEATH. But adding four more PSI is fairly common.

[RICHR]

As long as the tune is right on a turbo car you are fine uping the boost a bit...

My Gf's turbo Beetle produced 10lbs stock...we now have a chip in it...Pulls 15 constant with spikes of 18lbs. Stock motor with boltons and coputer programming. There is THOUSANDS of 1.8Ts doing this, Many are in the 300+hp range on stock motors/internals with now sign of breakage...

They are quick, that's for sure. But I race them on the streets with my modified Alfa Romeo 2,0 TS, equiped with a turbo, 245 hp, 300Nm of torque! They could ceep up, but when I shifted to 5th at 125Mph, I was gone!

My vette is much, much, much faster.

There is No substitute for Cid.

Heh. Mine isn't :(. At the strip two weeks ago, beat by a WRX on the first pass by about .3 secs, beat him on the second by about .1. He had a higher trap speed both times, but about equal reaction time. He also had a FMIC and some other minor mods (plus the JDM headlights - looked nice, not like a Neon any more :) .
[RICHR]

rearwindow.jpg

That is on the back of a syclone of syty.net, just thought it was funny being a turbo truck and all... :)

So what she said is true....it is not the size of your engine that matters, it is how you use it.

So it is!

But when you have a Corvette as light as a WRX and you have the same traction....and some engine modifications.

Three hurrays for the LPE SuperRam!

Goodbye WRX.

This and my sequential EMC, Edelbrock heads and a fast exhaust.:grinshot

Moritz_belt2_mei2002.jpg

I could not resist this- My 95 only turns a best of 13.4 and I raced a few WRXs, even some with their coffee can fot pipes and have yet to get dusted by one.

What times are your cars turning that get beat by the WRXs?

Going to do a cam change ,some head work and replace my 3.07 with a 3.45 this summer.

mid-low 14's. Fairly stock 86 - 230 hp, 0-60 5.9s according to GM. 1/4 mi is right where GM says it should be, given the car has 135000 miles on it. The WRX at the track should have been in the 13's at least given the mods he had - I think the guy didn't know how to launch it (5-speed AWD is tricky to do right, add a turbo and it's even more difficult - some see that as part of the challenge).

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom