Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ground Location

Whiteshadow89158

Corvette
1981 dark purple coupe
Hey folks, my headlights arnt working (shocker) and i read bad grounds and switches are the main problems. they dont go up and down but thats just because of vacume. i dont have the manual so could someone tell me the location of the headlight ground? Also, off topic but in the storage comp. on the pass. side there seems to what looks like to be two relays, i have the one closest to the battery but the one closets to the door is missing. i'm assuming it's missing because there's a bracket and plug thats unplugged just sitting there. Could someone also tell me what that may be for? my wipers dont work either so when i searched for a solution someone mentioned something about the delay control unit, i think this is what i'm missing. thanks folks for looking. ;help

Can't help you on headlite ground but if memory serves me, one of the relays in the psgr cubby is the alarm relay. At least in '73.

awww, that would make sence. the stock alarm is in shambles and probably be one of the last things i fix. Thanks for the input

Not sure about the 81. My 73's is just in front of the hood centerline underneath.

ya everylight works besides the headlights. there getting power at the pigtails so i want to check out the grounds before i assume its the bulb itself.

ya everylight works besides the headlights. there getting power at the pigtails so i want to check out the grounds before i assume its the bulb itself.

Just looked at the Gm repair manual. There are several ground locations. Best start is put a continuity meter on the black wire to the headlamp and to a good ground you should have a reading on the meter. Check the connections for rust at the headlamp spades.

The manual shows a ground wire for the headlamps "center of front fender support" but no picture of location.

ok cool, thanks for the replies. I think i'm just going to throw the front end on jack stands and just try to clean everything up and just inspect the whole bay. it could use some TLC. They worked when i first got the car and when i went to do a visual light inspection they just didnt work. Also is it possible to take out the light switch and clean the internals? i've done that a few times with door lock switches with good results.

Hey, just read your thread and I have a 78 and the ground for the headlights is on the left front bottom side of the radiator support. With the hood open you should be able to see coming from the pigtail where the headlight wires come from. A ground wire is at the bottom corner drivers side of rad. support. Hope that helped. 78 Shark

Thanks man!

Hey folks, my headlights arnt working (shocker) and i read bad grounds and switches are the main problems. they dont go up and down but thats just because of vacume. i dont have the manual so could someone tell me the location of the headlight ground? Also, off topic but in the storage comp. on the pass. side there seems to what looks like to be two relays, i have the one closest to the battery but the one closets to the door is missing. i'm assuming it's missing because there's a bracket and plug thats unplugged just sitting there. Could someone also tell me what that may be for? my wipers dont work either so when i searched for a solution someone mentioned something about the delay control unit, i think this is what i'm missing. thanks folks for looking. ;help

I know that on an 80', which should be the same as your 81', the delay wiper relay is mounted in that storage boxes along with the power att. relay. The delay wiper relay is a known for wiper problems. When I got my 80' most of the electrical didn't work. :bash It was bad connections. I removed all the plug-in connections and cleaned all the surfaces; That fixed it all. :beer Good luck.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

The missing module is the wiper controller; controls all wiper functions. Without it you are dead in the water. The one in my 81 is marginally functional. I have hear that there is a jumper out there, but don't know where, maybe another member can provide this intel.
My shop manual shows the head light ground at "Center of Front Fender Support", which is in Parallel with the "Generator Ground wire". Hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom