Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GS mystery Vette revealed

R

RAW

LT4 Engine

I am in the process of Purchasing a 1996 Coupe. I am from American Samoa. Everything checks out pretty good except for the Engine. The Actual sticker on the window says it has a LT4 engine, yet it has an automatic transmission. From what I have read, only the LT4 was mated to the 6 gear manual transmission. Could this just be a miss print on the Spec sheet for this car.

LT4

Or is the present owner just pulling my leg. She swears it has the Grand Sport Package. It is upposed to be a 1996 2DR Coupe, has all the options plus the LT4 Grand Sport Engine. It is the Deep Purple Metallic color. I am just confused on this?????

6 shooter

I am trying to have them e-mail a picture of the engine so I can tell if it has the red intake, spark plug and coil wires, Corvette lettering. But can it be possible to have it as a automatic.

Just Asking/ Engines

Is it possible to have a LT4 Automatic engine in a 1996 2DR Coupe? Seller claims to have this!!!

Yes sir! (Did'nt the 96 GS have the LT4 in it anyways!)

I am purchasing this car from overseas. I was reading all the info and it keeps saying that LT4 was mated only to the 6 gear manual transmission. I am not sure if all GS were 6 gear only and could also be automatic. The car is supposed to be the standard 96 2DR COUPE, Deep Purple Metallic, all options, with the Grand Sport Engine LT4, but automatic.

Not exactly

From what I've been able to dig up, the LT4 only came with a 6 speed and the Automatic was available only with an LT1. Grand Sport, CE and standard 96. I may be wrong...but I doubt it.
--Drew:w

Thats what I dig up. I can't find anything that says something different. I am trying to get the seller to send me a picture of the engine. The LT4 would have red intakes, spark plug, name. But the seller says for sure it is a automatic. Would this be rare. In the last post the author mentiond the Grand Sport, after checking, it says the Grand Sport option included the LT4 engine, which was only available with the 6 speed manual transmission.
So can it ot can't it be a automatic...Any Help Out there on this.

If the car has the Grand Sport package, then it has to have a 6 speed. An easy way to tell if the car is a GS is to look on the build sheet. If it has an option code Z16 it's a GS. GS's also have a special VIN, if it's a GS the last 4 digits of the VIN will be the cars serial number, 0001-1000. But if the car is purple, then it is not a Grand Sport.

So far as I know, there was one, and only one LT4 built with an automatic tranny. I dont remember what state it was in though.

More than likely, the car is an LT1. The pic of the engine should help clear things up.

Jason

I have the owner checking under the hood to see if this is the LT4 engine with all the Red in it.

I remember seeing an article in one of the Corvette mag's about an automatic LT4, but that was the only one built with an automatic. I dont remember the story behind it, but the tag's on the car read LT4AUTO or something like that.

Other than that one, all the 6000+ LT4's where equiped with the ZF-6 tranny, including all 1000 Grand Sports.

Jason

Ok, just received pictures. This is a LT4 Engine, Red plugs, Red Corvette Lettering, Grand Sport on the Throttle Cover, and it is a automatic. The post above mentioned there was only one made, do you know why? I also just bought the car. New Owner of 1996 2DR Coupe

Wow, contrats on your new Corvette.:upthumbs I'll dig through my mass of Corvette Magazines to see if I can find the story I'm thinking about.

Could you post the pics so we can all see them?

Jason

Just received picture of engine. It is a LT4 automatic. I bought the car without saying anything. So is this a rare car, or just converted over by someone?

Yes please find anything you can about this certain car. I appriciate it. I have them taking pictures of the car and when I pick out the best ones, I will post it, and a good one of the engine. But please find that Magazine Article. Thanks

Hey just to stir up the mix but was LT5 engines avail with Auto's? Never heard of a Auto ZR1 curious..

BigRed said:
Hey just to stir up the mix but was LT5 engines avail with Auto's? Never heard of a Auto ZR1 curious..

I'm almost 100% positive the ZR-1 was only avalible with a 6 speed. But having said that, I will be proved wrong by one of the ZR-1 guys.:)

I'm sure Rob or JT can give you a definate answer.

Jason

I had my friend check the engine himself, he say it is the LT4 and it is a automatic transmission. Says Grand Sport on the Throttle Cover also. Red Lettering and spark plugs. If you or anyone else can give me info about this car and why it is a automatic LT4, I would appriciate it.

Found it. The September 2001 edition of 'Vette. They had a "Salute to Corvette Ladies" The story is as follows:
Karen Primm and her husband were debating hard on what their new C4 Corvette should be. He wanted a high-horsepower ZR-1. She wanted a C4 with an automatic for those long cross-country trips for events like Corvettes at Carlsile and for the Mid America Funfest in Effingham, Illinois. Who won? Both - and how! Their compromise took the form of a RPO Z15 Collectors Edition '96 coupe, and perhaps the only LT4/4L60 Corvette built! In 1996, all automatic transmission Corvettes were supposed to come from the factory with the 300hp LT1 powerplant, but this one was sneaked through with the 330hp LT4. Karen and her husband bought the 'Vette from an Assembly Plant engineer who put it together with help from a few other factory workers and (hopefully) the General's blessing. Of course the owners of this unique Collector Corvette couldnt settle for a mere 330hp, and the beast now pumps out 400 horses on the dyno. Thats ZR-1 country so, as Karen putis it, "We have high horsepower form him, and an automatic for me. I even let him drive it sometimes.

Baised on your descrition of the car, this one is not the one you just bought. Apparently the above mentioned Assembly Plant Engineer managed to do more than just one auto LT4.

Congrats on your unique Corvette.:)

Jason

P.S. The plate does read "Auto LT4" cant tell what state though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom