Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hail vs C5?

DocOhm

Corvette
2001 Coupe QuickSilver A4
Well, severe weather has finally come to Oklahoma. My C5 is a daily driver and this is my first severe weather season since I got it last Christmas. I don't intend to have it out during a hail storm but the way Oklahoma weather goes ya never know.
Has anyone ever had their C5 hailed on? If so, how big was the hail? Any damage? I'm just wondering if it would really damage these plastic cars...
Doc

A few hail storms hit the Bowling Green Corvette facility during my tour of duty about a year ago. There were a few Corvettes in the shipping yard that had a slight bit of damage from the worst storm.

Sorry to say the sheet-metal cars & trucks that were parked in the employee parking lots did not fare as well, almost every vehicle had pretty bad hail damage. Luckily the hail storm hit after 1st shift, not many people work the off-shifts.

I did hear a few horror stories of a real bad hail storm that hit Bowling Green years ago, destroyed several homes and business on the west side of town. A Corvette owner said the storm ruined her C3, the large hail stones knocked big holes all over her Corvette!

May the Force be with you!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I got caught coming back to Okc on the Turner Turnpike last year in a hail storm. No damage. The hail wasn't too bad, nickel sized. Only lasted about 10 minutes.

I got caught in one on the way home from work on day small hail sounded like it was going to shatter the top. But no damage.

I've been lucky so far.

Hate to find out what would happen :)

The C5 will be a lot better off than my CTS-V - last year the Oklahoma hail pounded it good.

So far, I've missed the hail with all my Vettes though.

Last night, the storms were just 5 miles north of my house and all my cars were in the garage. ;)

Last Sunday April 23 we had a short penny size hail storm. I ran upstairs and pulled off a $450 quilt off the bed and threw on my vette. No damage at all.
Lucky I guess !!!!!!

:BOW :BOW :BOW Hail to the C5's. Oh, wait a minute - that's a different thread all together. Never mind.

Remo:cool

ask any professional detailer about the clearcoat on a C5 and he/she will tell you that it is a VERY, VERY hard finish to deal with. i would think that this would make a BIG difference when we have a hail vs. C5 contest!!! that's good news!!!!

jimmie jam said:
ask any professional detailer about the clearcoat on a C5 and he/she will tell you that it is a VERY, VERY hard finish to deal with. i would think that this would make a BIG difference when we have a hail vs. C5 contest!!! that's good news!!!!

Perhaps. But why take the chance? For less than $200, you can purchase a car cover from MidAmerica Corvette (one of the CAC's sponsoring vendors, btw), and have even more peace of mind about your car being outside when it rains or hails.

Just a thought to consider.

:w
-Patrick

patrick, i agree. i was just commenting on getting "caught" in a hail storm if you can't find cover.

Patrick-
Have you ever had to deal with a wet car cover away from home? It is not a pretty sight.

6 Shooter said:
Paddy wants ya to drive with it on, just cut a few sight holes n er! :rotfl

If I had a Millenium Yellow car, I would want to drive with the car cover on it.
;LOL

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom