Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hardtop will fit in ??????

CTYANK2

Corvette
1989 Black Convertible. 2011 VY Z06 KATECH #100
I just bought a hardtop and will be picking it up soon from the seller but I don't think it will fit into my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

So what size vehicle do I need to get my hands on to transport the top without scratching or otherwise damaging it?

Its a long ride.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....well that's a good idea but I don't have the two mounting brackets and the 10 bolts that go with them so I need to load the top into something else to pick it up.

PS: I can't get my hands on a pick-up so I'm wondering about full size SUVs, minivans and stuff like that.

Put your top up and measure it. Front to back, side to side and height. Add an inch or two to all just to be safe. Then start measuring. I would be very surprised if the top would not fit in a mini van with the rear seat or seats removed.

Good Luck :beer

When I picked up my hardtop, I got into the 6' bed of my Silverado pickup with a little twisting around.

The top measures 60" wide at the edges by the door, 54" long at the certerline, and 16" high from the bottom of the bracket sleeves to the highest point just at the center of the top surface. Weight is not a real issue at 65lbs.

Thanks. I may check with the local U-Haul folks and just rent something that the top fits into.

vette hardtop

5pinball said:
have you considerd a vette vert

What is this?
Just figured it out _ Are we talking about using a convertible to haul a convertible hardtop?

Its about moving the hardtop without the corvette convertible!

Yep, dumb of me to even have to ask. Shoulda' figured it out right away.
I would think that any van or SUV with fold down rear seats would give you plenty of room. The key would be to have adquate clearance through the opened door(s).
The suggestion about measuring your cloth top and adding a few inches is hard to beat.

The rear portion of the hardtop sits back about 4" further on the decklid than the fabric top. Measuring is a neat idea but remember to add that extra distance.

Thanks. Does anyone know if you can drive with the top on and not have the mounting brackets installed? I don't have brackets yet and was under the impression you can't drive without the brackets, but someone else told me I can drive it without the brakcets.

Anyone ever try driving without the brackets installed?

I would have the windshield bolts and rear deck bolts secured, but not the brackets.

I wouldn't want to screw anything up, is there any downside if I take it easy for a 4 hour highway drive to transport the top on the vet with no brackets??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom