Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hats Off to *89x2*

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
Good going dude! I have never seen so many Callaways in one place in my life. Putting together the reunion was no easy task, I'm sure, but you pulled it off with great success.

For anyone who missed it, there were 36 (I think) Callaways of every type imaginable in attendance including several B2Ks, an LM, a C12, a Supernatural GS, and all were spectacular.

If you have a Callaway and you missed it this year you'd better start making plans for next year.

I'll double that sentiment!...

Again, many thanks to Chris for the countless hours he had to spend to get this all together. And many thanks to all of you who showed up and participated in all of the fun and to Reeves, his wife Susan, Joanne Mercer and Ray from Callaway who are now behind us all of the way.

I am mid-way to Florida and its late so I won't go into the details tonight!

BTW, I have close to 512 MB worth of pics which I will be happy to put on a CD for all in attendancen (and the Callaway Owners on the forum who couldn't make it). Of course, I need a few days to get this prepared.

Way to go folks!

Luigi

I'll triple it!!

Chris is the man!!! What a great job he did. I can't believe all the time and effort he put into making the weekend fantastic. It exceeded all my expectations. His wife Natasha is a saint for putting up with all that as well as all of us!!! And a big congratulations for getting that hot red Aerobody off the trailer and driving it the way it was meant to be!!!!

I wouldn't exactly call it a vacation as we were all pretty exhausted by the end of the day yesterday. Many of us stayed until late in the day to receive Celebrity Choice awards. There were five Callaway cars chosen including Reeve's personal C12 and Big John Christensen's wild street LM bodied ZR1. One of only about four street cars ever assembled.

Reeves and his wife Susan were extremely generous with their time and in fact had dinner with us two nights. It's much different meeting the man himself in person than hearing all the dribble printed in the press that's taken out of context. I believe he is a sincere and dedicated man that stands behind his products. He explained many things to us including the much talked about article where he was quoted about the LT5 motor program and also things we can do to keep our Twin Turbo cars running for a long time. I am completely pleased and encouraged that Callaway Cars is in this with us at this time. I think it was a really good wake up call for Reeves as to the level of enthusiasm and committment for these cars by their owners. It's a new breed of car enthusiasts that are now becoming owners of these cars. A different demographic than many of the original "non-car guy" owners.

Joanne Mercer and her husband Ray are also really great people. I had a wonderful time meeting them and hanging out. Ray and I are both into Harleys so we hit it right off. He even did me a HUGE personal favor by shuttling me to the auto parts store for a new alternator and then back to the hotel to change it! Actually, I should say... so that Callaway4Fun (Pete) could change it for me!! Pete and I drive down and back together as he lives south of me and basically on the way. He also helped me with my little unexpected electrical gremlins on the LONG ride home last night. Thanks for that flashlight!! It really helps to see the speedo and gauges... LOL. Parking lights? Who needs parking lights? THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was extremely cool to meet all the guys (and gals) that showed up. It's nice to be able to associate everyone with personal experience and not an internet persona. Now that I actually know everyones REAL name and we don't have to call each other by forum names anymore! LOL I feel as though I made some friendships that will last for a long time this weekend. The information that we shared about our cars and the time we spent together was invaluable. Between all of us we have a body of information that needs to be captured and documented. I'm sure we will do much more colaboration in the future both as owners and with Callaway Cars.

Also thanks to all the other Corvette folks that stopped by to say hi and talk cars with us. This was great!!! Let's keep the momentum going! If you couldn't be there this year, make sure you start planning for the next one!

Sincere thanks.

Folks, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts regarding the event as I believe it was a HUGE success. Natasha and I both felt a unique bond there w/ the group from the moment we opened the bottle of Callaway Wine, to kick off the event through the breakfast w/ the group, the Casual dinner after a long day at the show and of course the WONDERFUL dinner Banquet! I cannot think of any way our weekend could have been better. The weather cooperated w/ us (once big red came off the trailer) to our good fortunes w/ finding parts for quick repairs along the way (Thanks Ray for getting the "ice cube" back on the road!).
Folks, what we had this weekend was trully special and Natasha and I will never forget the experiences we shared!
Reeves and his wife Susan were very generous the whole weekend and I think we have a lot to look forward to in the future.
I have already begun formulating a plan for a "CALLAWAY EVENT" in the near future and I will share the details as they happen. In the meantime, I have a lot of unpacking and R&R to do however, in about 5 minutes, my pics will be ready, processed at the 1 hr place :) so I will have to check them out first.
Thank you again, everyone who attended and shared in making these memories! Regards, Chris.

Re; 89X2

Hi Trailor Queen and Natasha . You guys did a great job and Chris you are a good sport with all the ribbing that was going on.I am glad to see you finally drove the car the way it was meant to be. We really need that run on the highway videotaped . Well I had a great time and I met a great bunch of people. Thanks again Pete

Re: Re; 89X2

callaway4fun said:
Hi Trailor Queen and Natasha . You guys did a great job and Chris you are a good sport with all the ribbing that was going on.I am glad to see you finally drove the car the way it was meant to be. We really need that run on the highway videotaped . Well I had a great time and I met a great bunch of people. Thanks again Pete
Thanks Pete! It was really my pleasure to see everyone have such a good time this weekend!!!!
I got the pics back from the 1 hr place (complete w/ photo disc) and let me say, some of the best shots were from our run yesterday. Natasha took a couple of each of you guys as we rolled down the highway and some are quite classic!
Once again, it was a pleasure to have finally met everyone and this is an event for the history books!! Chris.

TurboLuigi said:

BTW, I have close to 512 MB worth of pics which I will be happy to put on a CD for all in attendancen (and the Callaway Owners on the forum who couldn't make it). Of course, I need a few days to get this prepared.

Way to go folks!

Luigi

Please, please...include me on this distribution. It makes me sick to think I couldn't make the event. On the flip side, my wife and I scored a 1st in class trophy and BOTH raffle items--a nice quilt and a GM letterman C5 jacket while in W. Yellowstone. I can't complain too much.

90Callaway: Please share details of the ZR1 article and the tips to keep the car running great.

BTW...I found out this weekend altitude makes a real difference in aspiration--even the TT. We were at 6000 ft or so at W. Yellowstone this weekend and I could barely squeak out 44" of mercury at WOT. I still ran down the C5s in front of me but it kind of scared me. I thought something was leaking or breaking. By the time I got back to Bozeman I got 46" and by the time we hit Missoula it was back to 52".

Re: Sincere thanks.

*89x2* said:
I have already begun formulating a plan for a "CALLAWAY EVENT" in the near future and I will share the details as they happen. In the meantime, I have a lot of unpacking and R&R to do however, in about 5 minutes, my pics will be ready, processed at the 1 hr place :) so I will have to check them out first.
Thank you again, everyone who attended and shared in making these memories! Regards, Chris.

If at all possible, please try to make a more central location. I will make a real effort, given enough prior notice, to make this event but 5,000 miles is one heck of a lot of miles in one fell swoop to swallow. We might pick up more out of the west coast...perhaps even Turbocat with his monster.

TAC and everyone else-

The ZR-1 article that Reeves spoke about at the banquet was in reference to a loooong thread in the ZR1 section on the Corvette Forum. The details can be found in that thread about what actually transpired in the article and so forth.. but basically, the ZR1 was quoted by Reeves with a "label" and that label created a lot of controversy among the Vette community.

At the banquet this past weekend, he eloquently spoke to us about the entire interview related to his published comment about the ZR1. Basically, he backed up his statement with a lot of background on how GM will hype and overmarket a new model, under-design it, overprice it, under-sell it, then kill the program for that car a few years later. GM seems to repeat that process over and over again.. the Vega, the Corvair, the ZR1... he named a couple others that my memory is not retrieving at the moment...

Whether some ZR1 folks were at the dinner or not (there weren't any that I know of) he would've methodically spoken about the same topic in the same exact fashion. The man has a lot of pride and a lot of dedication and a lot of loyalty to everything that he does and everything that Callaway Cars does. His presence at the reunion and socializing with us throughout the weekend was a true testament to this.

Well said Eric

I would not even attempt to paraphrase what Reeves said as I don't want to be responsible for misquoting him or taking something out of context. He was very open and honest about the whole interview. It was the LT5 engine program that he was making reference to and not the ZR1 as a car.

As far as tips for our cars for the most part we are still waiting for them but we have a verbal commitment that they are forthcoming.

As far as your reduced boost at altitude it had more to do with reduced atmospheric pressure. You were making similar boost but starting at a deficit. At 6000 feet you probably had only about 11 PSI of pressure to start with. (I actually don't know the exact reduction in pressure based on altitute.) Sea level is 14.7 PSI. That would put you about 8-9 inches of mercury lower on your gauge compared to what you are used to seeing.

Re: Well said Eric

90Callaway said:
I would not even attempt to paraphrase what Reeves said as I don't want to be responsible for misquoting him or taking something out of context. He was very open and honest about the whole interview. It was the LT5 engine program that he was making reference to and not the ZR1 as a car.

As far as tips for our cars for the most part we are still waiting for them but we have a verbal commitment that they are forthcoming.

As far as your reduced boost at altitude it had more to do with reduced atmospheric pressure. You were making similar boost but starting at a deficit. At 6000 feet you probably had only about 11 PSI of pressure to start with. (I actually don't know the exact reduction in pressure based on altitute.) Sea level is 14.7 PSI. That would put you about 8-9 inches of mercury lower on your gauge compared to what you are used to seeing.

No kidding on not wanting to be responsible for a misquote. That thread on CF got somewhat ugly.

As for the atmospheric pressure thing what you say makes sense. I just don't remember the guage showing less than 30" with the engine off. I'll have to wait for next year to check that out unless the guage is set to return to 30" automatically. I thought it returned to 30" because atmospheric pressure put it there. At 6000 ft, then, my guage should have read less with the engine off.

Re: Re: Well said Eric

TAC said:

As for the atmospheric pressure thing what you say makes sense. I just don't remember the guage showing less than 30" with the engine off. I'll have to wait for next year to check that out unless the guage is set to return to 30" automatically. I thought it returned to 30" because atmospheric pressure put it there. At 6000 ft, then, my guage should have read less with the engine off.

I would agree with that. It should read less with the engine off or at least you'd think so. It should be at around 30" (29.2") at sea level and less at altitude. I was wondering if you happened to notice. I'm also not sure if it reads true or if it's set to just return to 30" when not running.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom