Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

having experiance,tools,skills is nice!

grumpyvette

damn it feels good to have BOTH the skills and experiance and the tools at the same time to find isolate and fix a potential problem :grin:
EXAMPLE
my 1996 corvette over a period of about 3 hours started running rought, I pulled it in to MY NEW GARAGE,PUT IT UP ON MY NEW LIFT,used my 30 year old floresent drop lights, diagnosed the problem with my computer diagnostic software ,EZ-SCAN 6000
to the o2 sensor malfunction and found that thier location was at best CRAMPED/RESTRICTED, make that nearly impossiable to easily access,I spray the old soon to be removed o2 sensors down with penetrating oil,first to allow time for it to soak in,while I figure out how to remove the damn things, AHHH, but I have a set of cheap harbour freight wrenchs, purchased as throw away stock for just such a problem, sellecting the 7/8" size I measure off the access area at 3"MAX and at an odd angle, so out comes the vise and torch and in no time Ive got a custom bent weird angle wrench that allows me to access the o2 sensor with no drama, taking a couple o2 sensors out of stock,use of some anti-sieze on the threads, of the new o2 sensors and Im back in business in under 30 minutes
damn thats nice

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4047
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2564
http://www.freealloil.com/
example TWO!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91705
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/sidewinderwrench.php
anyone whos ever replaced spark plugs on an LT1 vette with all the EMMISION CRAP still in place knows theres almost no way to access some of the plugs,especially the rear two on the passenger side , well one tip is to use these tools, (above)and to get that last new rear spark plug started in the threads after coating the threads with anti-seize you can force an 19" length of 3/8" fuel line over the plug porcillin then use one hand to guide it into place while the other hand spins the fuel line to get it started threading, as theres no easy direct access. once its started theres no room to turn a ratchet, the side winder ratchet and longer than common spark plug socket make the job easier

I know what you mean, my lift is the best $2000 I've spent for tools and I too have an assortment of cut-off, ground down, bent and home-made sockets to do specific jobs.

just keep in mind it took me till I was 58 years old to invest/save/deal/plan/design/build that garage and aquire those tools for a hobby/obsesion Ive had since I was about 16 years old

grumpyvette said:
just keep in mind it took me till I was 58 years old to invest/save/deal/plan/design/build that garage and aquire those tools for a hobby/obsesion Ive had since I was about 16 years old

I started at 14 and am 58 also, but my garage is a pole barn, no where as nice as yours but I have quite a few tools. I have had the lift for about 4 years and I still have a few chraftsman tools from the set I got from my great uncle when he died when I was 14 or 15.

JonM said:
Lets see....25K for the new garage?
1K for the tools
$45 New O2
Labor -0-

Total 26045.00 for a new O2

Priceless....:L ....;)

try closer to $160,000, youll be closer, but it will average out a whole lot lower per O2 sensor replaced over time TRUST ME!,.......................... my old garage was 22ft x 22ft and close to 180 engines and hundreds if not thousands of brake jobs,tune-ups,and various other things got done over the last 40 plus years. I may not make money but I sure keep the local guys happy, and tire shops buzy selling tires and speed shops in business selling parts

JonM said:
Lets see....25K for the new garage?
1K for the tools
$45 New O2
Labor -0-

Total 26045.00 for a new O2

Priceless....:L ....;)

your a little off on mine also:
Pole barn $13,000.00
Tools Closer to $6,000
heated O2 sensor $75
Labor Slave Rates
total 13675 :D

as I said before the Lift was the best $2000 I ever spent on a tools, except in winter there probably isn't a week it sits idle.

p.s. $1000 in tools will suffice for a nail banger but not for a mechanic ;)

Since I was 14 I have had the philosphy that I could pay someone to repair my cars for the rest of my life or I could buy the tools and do it myself. Been repairing and building my own cars for 32 years now. The equipment has more than paid for itself throughout the years. I agree, right tools and equipment, nice facilities, and experience = no problems that can't be solved. It's really cool to solve problems when novices are around. They can't figure out how you know so much stuff and can do so much. They only need to look at the scars on my knuckles to learn the answers.

Greg

Right on, runum

I'm with you on that. I've been turning wrenches since I was 15. I'm 47 now, have a regular (desk) job but mechanic on the side and as a hobby. Lots of the folks at work come to me for advice and/or work. I won't work on foreign stuff (sometimes brakes), some Dodge and Ford (I choose my work), but at least they know what to say and expect and how much it's worth.

Started out with tools purchased from pawn shops (hey, Snap-On, Craftsman, S-K, Mac, Matco, etc. are all there. I loved finding cracked or broken ones that the shops would give me for cheap, and I'd get a FREE NEW ONE!), then would buy off the trucks when I was working at the shops. My philosophy: If I needed it or borrowed it 3 times-I bought it. Still need to get myself a lift, though. The ramps and jackstands are getting a bit old.

JonM-I probably STARTED with $1,000 in tools. Add in the Chevy and Harley special stuff, the blast cabinet, grinders, jacks, stands, tool boxes, etc. , I would say I'm looking at $15K now, probably 20-25K to replace at todays prices. :)

Rick
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom