Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Head Lamp Aiming

jwawhite

Corvette
2003 Anny Coupe
C5 2003, have owned the car for over a decade and am now working on the lack of headlamp lights at night. I took it for granted (and have heard from others) the light system on it is poor so I upgraded to GE Xenon
Night Hawks--- low and high beam. When I first bought the car, used with 900 miles, I flew out to Atlanta and drove home to California. I noticed while driving at night, light was
escaping from the HL bezel of the R HL. Sitting in the drivers seat, I could see light coming out between the HL door and bezel on the left side of the R HL. While changing the bulbs I looked into why the R bezel was bowed--- on the hood side. The HL's are aimed towards the ground perhaps 6 feet out on low beam, thus interfering with the HL bezel on the R side! The R bezel is stuck, hitting the bottom of the HL glass-- causing it to bow.

Did GM ever issue a notice of this or has anyone else discovered this on their '03?

I have an '04 and I, also, installed GE Nighthawk Xenon lights in my headlight assemblies. In fact, I reviewed those bulbs for the CAC a couple of months ago.

I did not have any problems with the headlight bezel being bowed, but I did have a little trouble on the first bulb I installed. When I put it in the first time, unbeknownst to me, because you have to twist the bulbs in place by feel, only two of the bulbs three mounting tabs were engaged. Of course, when that happens, the bulb is canted in the socket.

When I road tested the first time, the beam from that bulb was pointing at the sky. Twisting out that bulb then reinserting it solved the problem.

I think you could have a similar problem only 180°, i.e.: pointing at the ground rather than the sky, if you missed one of the tabs but on the other side of the bulb.

You might check that on your car.

Good luck.

Thanks HiB

For responding!
i read your write-up on the bulbs, thanks, and decided to install them.

I had the idea they may be difficult to install, esp. for First Timers, so I removed the bezels and HL doors. One has a better view, and the bulbs are seated properly.

I have the opinion the adjustment of the HL's are off. I may try to find a place, i.e. a nice white wall, and check out the adj. or just have the Dealer do it. I've vread the horizontal? Rod has been frozen on other Vettes......

My night lights have just been poor from night one :).

Thanks again HiB for the efforts you put in, it is appreciated on this side.

... I've vread the horizontal? Rod has been frozen on other Vettes......

May be frozen? Trust me, your GOLDEN ROD is frozen after all this time. The question is, do you want to do the adjustment or are you going to the dealer? Before I go through what all has to be done, I want to know which avenue you are going to choose.

The golden rod. It cannot be replaced without buying an entire headlight so whatever you do, don't break it.

hlightadjust.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom