Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight Bushings

ZumZum

Corvette
1988 Dark Red Coupe
I'm going to replace the bushings in my headlights this weekend. I've downloaded instructions from corvettemagizine.com. It looks prety straight forward. Anybody have any helpful hints or know of any surprises to look for as I'm doing this? Thanks for the help.

Better set aside a good portion of your day if you're doing both of them. It took me 4 hours to do one side.

Be careful when you're working with the headlight motor itself, that bolt that's in there is in there pretty tight and you don't want to strip the end of it.

Just be patient with it; it's a pretty straight forward project. :w

It took me about an hour to do each side. Pay very close attention to the placement of the washers on the spindle, if they don't go on in the same order they came off, your headlights won't work properly. Also, I didn't bother scribing anything, if the outer headlight panel already fits flush with your hood, you can easily eyeball the gap around it to make sure it's uniform when you reinstall. I would also disconnect the battery while you're working on the headlights, just to be on the safe side.

It never even occured to me to disconnect the battery. Thanks for the heads up. That should SOP whenever your doing engine or electrical related work.

I'll lay odds its your bushings. Go to Home Depot and ask for item number 595609. You will need six of these nylon spacers to repair both headlights. They cost me .69 cents (plus tax) for a pack of three at my local Home Depot store.

Much cheaper than the $7.99 price in MAD, Eckler's and some of the other specialty catalogs and they are the exact same Delrin spacers. Go figure.

If there's a TechTips portal on this Forum search under "headlight bushings." If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the instructions I used when I replaced mine a couple of months ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom