Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight Door Conversions

Carnalsupply

Corvette
1970 LT-1, Cortez Silver w/Black Leather
Like many others, the vacuum system on my high powered '70 continues to develop small but problematic leaks, regardless of how many hoses, etc. I replace. I've already installed a complete vacuum hose replacement kit, numerous fittings and diaphrams, as well as added an SSBC vacuum pump to handle the brakes and wiper door assembly, but the headlight system just continues to plague my existence...so...
I'm considering developing a replacement headlight door activation system using small linear actuators, and before I go and put something like this together just for myself (buying/developing 1 piece at a time, etc.), I'm curious if anyone else out there would be interested in a bolt in kit?
I am aware of the retrofit kit utilizing Firebird headlight actuators (and have seriously considered purchasing it), but that kit involves quite a few items and steps I believe can be eliminated.
This idea is in its infancy, but I'd love to receive any input, feedback, or interest other vacuum sufferers might have.

Happy New Year

I've found that the best strategy is to go through the system ONCE and replace/repair everything at the same time. If you've still got any 34 year old components in your system, no wonder it keep failing.

Once it's fixed properly, it should be good for another 30+ years.

Carnalsupply said:
Like many others, the vacuum system on my high powered '70 continues to develop small but problematic leaks, regardless of how many hoses, etc. I replace. I've already installed a complete vacuum hose replacement kit, numerous fittings and diaphrams, as well as added an SSBC vacuum pump to handle the brakes and wiper door assembly, but the headlight system just continues to plague my existence...so...
I'm considering developing a replacement headlight door activation system using small linear actuators, and before I go and put something like this together just for myself (buying/developing 1 piece at a time, etc.), I'm curious if anyone else out there would be interested in a bolt in kit?
I am aware of the retrofit kit utilizing Firebird headlight actuators (and have seriously considered purchasing it), but that kit involves quite a few items and steps I believe can be eliminated.
This idea is in its infancy, but I'd love to receive any input, feedback, or interest other vacuum sufferers might have. Happy New Year
One of our members here developed and was/is marketing a C3 electric headlamp door retrofit ... kits and/or plans. I may be mistaken, but I recall Chris may've begun with the linear actuator approach but settled on firebird motors.
JACK:gap

Thanks for the feedback!
It's not for lack of ability that makes me consider changing over to a more efficient method of operating the light doors, in fact, part of the reason is a 600hp (on the dyno) Hilborn injected small block that pulls very little vacuum (and what it pulls it needs for the MAP sensor). Simply put, the headaches associated with the psychodelic era "gee-whiz" idea of vacuum operated doors isn't worth the trouble (to me).
Since I do value the fact my car is a numbers matching LT-1, nothing I've changed in the engine, etc. (or contemplate changing) on the car is irreversible, and that would include changing the vacuum system over to the linear actuators. This car is a powerful hot rod I drive for fun, not a concourse or show car, so authenticity isn't a subject I'm concerned with at this time.

Hi Jack,

I'm very familiar with Chris' system, and have come within a hairs width of ordering everything necessary to do the job, but just can't get myself to do so without first looking at an alternative method, and that is EXACTLY why I posted here, to gain feedback from the most knowledgable Corvette people I've ever spoken with.

I believe Chris' package is thorough and well thought out, but I feel the linear method can/will eliminate a number of steps/pieces from the process, thus making it even more efficient, both from a cost and labor perspective, hence my posting.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom