Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heads Up

Jeb

Corvette
1987 Convertable
Something I experienced might help you not experience it.

Several weeks ago, I was driving across the Lake Ponchartrain bridge when I heard (and felt) a 'bang!' that sounded like a tire blowing out. Since you cannot stop on the bridge unless everything else fails, I slowed down and tapped the brakes...just a little. When I did that, the car immediately jerked to the right and I heard a grinding noise. I stopped using the brakes and nursed the car another three miles, got off the bridge and went another half mile until there was a good place to pull over.

When I got out and looked at the car, I saw that the RF tire was indeed flat but that didn't explain the grinding noise I heard when tapping the brakes.

I opened the hood and shined a light on the RF wheel and suspension and I immediately saw the problem.

One of the long bolts holding the brake caliper on had somehow worked itself loose and the entire caliper swung down and made contact with the inside of the wheel which cracked the wheel, allowed all the air out of the tire, and generally caused havoc.

The wheel was shot so I needed a new wheel and the tire was trash, so I needed a new tire but the caliper was fine and after re-attaching it, the car was fine. Oh, I also found out that the spare tire's rim had a small crack and would only hold air for about 45 minutes, which surprised me because pressure was up less than 2 weeks earlier when I was doing my occasional check out of the car's systems - including the spare.

So, when you're under the hood making things all clean and shiny, take a moment and check the torque on those two bolts which hold the brake calipers in place on each side. Be sure to check the AP in your spare also while you're under the car shining the mufflers. :eyerole

Good Tip...Thanks !
Glad that it did not result in a major scratch.

Something that I wanted to add as far as safety and paying attention to your car.
I just had rear bearing/hubs installed. R was loose and the L was WAY loose. Mechanic calls me back and starts asking me if I started the job..? huh? No, I did'nt have the time or place. Then he tells me that 2 of the 3 rear hub retaining bolts were GONE and the last bolt was loose. 2 had been gone for some time. That is where most of the looseness came from in that wheel. The car was handling very weird and I thought it was just bearings. I did not know that it was the bearing assembly about to fall off...along with a rear wheel.
I'm not sure which will hold the new hub-bearings in place, the new grade-8 bolts or the bucket of red locktite that they got dipped in...
My advice, if something does not feel right, it isn't. Check it out. The way we drive these things I cant imagine loosing a rear wheel at 80 going around a freeway transition overpass.

Jeb, I'm glad that you kept it between the lines.

Glad to hear that it was nothing major. Which Bridge Causeway, twinspin,...? I wonder if most folks on here realize how long those bridges really are.
IMO a good torque wrench and locktite are your friends especially on the roads around here.
Mike

First time I crossed the "lake" was at night...all I saw was guard rails. Next time shocked the stuff outta me in daylite ! miles and miles....

Glad to hear that it was nothing major. Which Bridge Causeway, twinspin,...? I wonder if most folks on here realize how long those bridges really are.
IMO a good torque wrench and locktite are your friends especially on the roads around here.
Mike

Causeway. It always happens just as you pass the last turnaround.

:L

24 miles long for those who wonder.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom