Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater core again

SR'71

Corvette
1971 Vert 454 4 speed sidepipes
Heater leaking again. Changed out the core about 2yrs ago. Now both supply and return lines leak @ the core tank. Took the heater back to radiator shop [actual rad shop]. Tanks not strong enough to support lines. This was a replacement core of unknown manufacture [Mexico/China??]. You don't want to repeat this job but once per lifetime. For '76's and older , here is my [painfully]learned opinion where ever you got your new core from. Remove the heater fan shroud[about 4 more screws]. Take the hearter mounted in the pleneum and the fan shroud to the radiator shop. Have the guys there SILVER SOLDER the supply & return lines to the core using the fan shroud plus a 3/8" shim [firewall thickness] to set the lines depth[all engines] and angle[big blocks& AC].

:eyerole

Thanks! I'm in the middle of this very project myself. I never did find a core made in the US. So I finally just closed my eyes and picked one.

thanks again

Regardless where the core is made or where you buy it, take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure-tested BEFORE you install it; you don't want to do that job twice.

:beer

Regardless where the core is made or where you buy it, take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure-tested BEFORE you install it; you don't want to do that job twice.

:beer
THAT TOO you just don't want to do this job again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom