Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Helms, GM, Chilton, or Other??

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Convertible
I'm just wondering what is the best manual for C4's. I have the GM Service Manuals for my car. They were purchased by the previous owner. I have heard others here talking about the Helms manuals and the Chilton manuals. I don't have much mechanical experience, but other than engine work, and due to financial concerns, I want to do some of the other work that may need to be done on my vette and I don't want anything too technical. My GM Service Manual is kinda technical and I think it assumes the person working on the car knows more than I do.

Any suggestions here??:confused

:w

Service manuals

The Helms and GM are the same. The Chiltons is OK but if you already have the GM manuals, save your money. Don't use the Hay...s manuals available at Pep Boys, etc. I've been led astray and ruined parts following that manual's instructions.

I have them all...one can never have too much information

jmccloud said:
The Helms and GM are the same. .
;) Everyone calls it the Helms manual.
Helms is only the authorized publisher of the GM service manual: The one with the red cover.

I'm a rookie C4 owner & I'd be lost:W without my Helm/GM manuals! I'll say that the genuine GM manuals I had for my 72 taught me enough to do a complete mechanical resto on an abused LT-1 & it all came out very well for me not being a mechanic. At least I feel the manuals gave enough info for me to know what was wrong and what to do to fix the problem. That's better than not being able to figure out what's wrong even if the fix is beyond your mechanical skills, if you know what should be done you're miles ahead! JMHO, Tom.

Wayne88 said:
;) Everyone calls it the Helms manual.
Helms is only the authorized publisher of the GM service manual: The one with the red cover.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I must already have the correct manuals then!:) There's at least some money that I won't need to spend.

I have all 3; Helm is the absolute best, but it sometimes takes awhile to find what your looking for....sort of "how to build a watch when all I want is the time". I find the Haynes & Chilton good for a quick lookup, but when you really need to know everything about a particular item, Helm.

DMGroh said:
... it sometimes takes awhile to find what your looking for
Oh yeah, it can be a bit frustrating when it comes to that. Sometimes I'll be looking for something and not find it, then later I discover that something, along with a ton of other useful information that I didn't initially take into consideration, or couldn't find the first time I looked.

Helm=GM, they are the same manual.

Chilton's and others may be good for a couple things, and pictures, however the instructions are best from Helm, 98% of the time.

I have the Haynes, and helped me out lots of times now.(electrical schemes)

some idiot -who owned the car before me- installed a aftermarket rubbish alarm system.
he/she F**** up the complete wiring harness and gave lots of electrical problems. (ghosts in my system :naughty: )

but thanks for the tip in this Helms manual, will order 1 today.

Haynes & Chilton's are to be used for general information only. Both are very poor in chasis repairs. I have them both. I am hearing Helmes is really precise and that is what one needs to perform actual repairs from.

In addition, I have found the illustrations in the Parts manual helpful as a supplement to the illustrations in the GM.Helms service manual.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom