Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help w/window motor...

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hi all
Can anyone show me pics and instructions for replacing my power window motor on drivers side? Getting door panel off is not a problem.
Thanks

whats wrong with it out of curiosity, mine was all messed up when i fisrt got my 82 and the old hold the switch and slam the door technique changed everything and saved me the hassle of replacing the motor and saved me a few bucks on top of that:D

Don't just pull that motor!

Hi Jim B, you can tap the motor with a plastic hammer, some times the brushes in the motor stick and that frees them up.
Hotshotzny was able to do that by slaming his door.
Don't pull the motor off without first removing the whole regulator assembly, it's spring loaded and you can loose a finger.
If your motor needs to be replaced you'll find a hole in the gear and a hole on the other side of the regulator, you line the holes up, secure with a bolt then attach the motor and remove the bolt, that gives you the correct tension on the spring. here's a link http://corvettemagazine.com/content/view/87/ PG.

I am going to tackle the same project this weekend (except on the passanger side and my power door actuator is bad, too). I have a new motor,regulator kit, anti rattle bushings, power door lock actuator and window seal weatherstrip ready to go. I had read on here before that the original rivets which must be drilled out to remove the motor can be replaced with nuts/bolts when everything is reassembled. There are three for the window motor and two for the power lock actuator. Does anybody know what the correct size bolts are to use? I want to get everything I'll need before I take the door apart!

Good idea. It will also help me if I ever have to do the drivers side.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!

Hey Pete,
I got my new power window motor installed along with a new regulator. The new motor's body is round - the original motor was rectangular. The new motor is about 1/2 inch larger than the old one. When I lower the window all the way down the window channel hits the motor casing. Have you heard of this happening with replacement motors?
I am also having a hard time getting the window adjusted correctly. Everything seems fine (not counting the hitting the motor problem) until the window is about 1 inch from completely up. At that point it seems to jam on the T-top weatherstripping. I've tried adjusting all the adjustment screws. How do I get the top edge of the window to be more outboard at the top of the movement??
Thanks for the info about the screw size!
Trenton;help

Adjusting the window just takes a lot of trial and error.
You'll have to ask the compay you got the motor from, or maybe some else will chime it. PG.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom