Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with Battery Box

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
The battery box behind the drivers seat needs some attention. This is a 74 convert. and in the battery box is just a battery and the 2 cables. It seems to me that there should be some sort of hardware to hold the battery in place.

1) Can some one describe or better yet a picture of this hardware?

2) Another item in the box is 2 rubber hoses. Look like vacume lines but both exit the bottom of the box and stick out of the bottom of the car. What is the function of these hoses? Is there a missing part?

Thanks

The battery should be retained by a bracket at the bottom rear of the box. This bracket "hooks over" a ledge in the battery, and is retained by one bolt. If you look under the car...under the battery box, you'll see the "nut plate" for this retainer and its' bolt. They are available in reproduction. The bracket is about 4 inches long x 1 inch wide.

The two hoses are likely reminants of the original battery "vents'. Original batteries had two long plastic caps, each one covering 3 of the 6 holes in the top of the battery. Off of each of these caps came a hose, which vented the battery fumes out of the car...through a hole in the floor of the battery box.

Later, sealed batteries do not have or need this feature. Chuck

OK I see the rusted hunk of a plate and nut plus about a 1 inch part of a bolt. I will look for the reproduction parts.

As for the battery fumes. I have what looks to be an autoZone battery and I would not call it sealed. Do I have an issue with the fumes? I can tap a hole into the 2 caps and reproduce the vent?? How bad are these fumes?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom