Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

help with p/s control valve

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
ok I almost have the old one off but can't get the ball joint to release from the steering box arm (pitman arm I think its called) yes Ive been hitting it with a nice heavy corvette adjustment tool (hammer) & a pickle fork and it wont even budge .... is there a secret to this such as removing the drag link .... also once again I forgot which lines from the control valve go to which holes on the cylinder on cylinder my lines are towards front of the car so does the top line go to the top hole on the side of the control valve or what

help with this one will really help me from BBQ'ing the vette

thanks

You need the regular tool that has the clamp and the screw vice to apply steady even pressure, and it will pop right off.

They rent them at the local Autozones where I live.

well got the new valve in so now trying to figure out the centering of it, hopefully it will be ready for the road in around two weeks

when the p/s control valve is center my ram doesnt move a bit till the steering wheel is moved does this sound like it is centered right

If you have the car on jack stands so that the wheels are off the ground, it is centered if the wheels do not turn by themselves and if the effort required to turn the steering wheel is equal in both directions. Adjust it so it starts to turn in one direction, then adjust it so it starts to turn in the other direction, and finally set it to the center point between those two positions.

Hose question

I've rebuild most of my control valve (awaiting the new dust boot and clamp). I want to verify which hose goes where.

Does the top hose on the control cyclinder go to the bottom port of the control valve? Or is it the other way around? I prefer not to find out 'after the fact'.

Figured it out.

I browsed around and noticed that it is supposed to be swapped around. (like I thought). The top of one goes to the bottom of the other...etc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom