Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Helpful hint with ramps

john6277

Corvette
1995 base Corvette - Red / Red
I may be the only one, but I find it real easy to undershoot or overshoot drive-on repair ramps without an observer.

Through the years I've used a simple method. With a retractable tape measure I lock it to the length of the bottom of the tire to the center of the ramp top surface where I want to end up. Then I place the tape measure on the ground near the driver's door. With a reference point on the door sill I just drive forward until the reference point is now at the other end of the tape. Haven't missed yet! :)

I may be the only one, but I find it real easy to undershoot or overshoot drive-on repair ramps without an observer.

Through the years I've used a simple method. With a retractable tape measure I lock it to the length of the bottom of the tire to the center of the ramp top surface where I want to end up. Then I place the tape measure on the ground near the driver's door. With a reference point on the door sill I just drive forward until the reference point is now at the other end of the tape. Haven't missed yet! :)

I use that method when backing up to my house, I put a stake in the ground with red paint on it to mark where I want my side view mirror to line up.

For the ramps, I just bolted a 1"X1" piece of wood to the front of my ramps and drive up until I feel one of the tires tap it and stop. :)

I have the 67" Race Ramps with "Extenders" and they come with tall bump stops on the end. I drive up on the smoothly an stop with I feel the tires touch the bump stops.

When setting up my ramps, I place the about where I want them then drive my car up to them but not on them. I then slide the ramps (with extenders) under the car to the tires and center them on the tires. I check the alignment of the ramp on the driver's side to make sure it is more or less aligned with the tires. I put my tape measure across the ramps in front of the tires so I know how wide to set the high ends of the ramps. In then measure the high ends and align the other ramp to be the same distance apart at both ends.

Time to drive up on them. So far, so good.

The race ramps have the same non-slip surface top and bottom and will not slip on the smoothest garage floors. It's not fun getting part way up a ramp and having one of them slip out from under the tire and shoot across the garage.

Timely post for me considering I am looking to buy ramps this weekend. Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom