Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Here is the latest!!!!!! Tire alert

M

Mike Baskette

Hello all, I ordered tires two weeks ago, BFG T/A Radials for my 70' coupe. After careful consideration and input from you I chose the size of 245/60/15. Tire shop said they could not find them. I contacted BFG. They no longer make that size. Now please don't write and state I should try a different size because that is what you have. IF I wanted what you have then I would have bought it.
People we have a problem. Raised whites look good on early c3 models 68-72, can't speak for the others since I pay no attention. Take a look at the dopey names on raised whites of other companies. If I wanted dumb names on my tires I will be the one to place white tape on them and name them. I do not want blackwalls.....it just ain't right. I already gave my baby girl a dumb name 32 years ago, I can't keep making these mistakes. I'm conflicted. Mike in San Diego.

Tirerack.com has Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's raised white letter - only catch is you would have to settle for 255 60 15's vice 245.

That's what is going on my 78 when I finally get her up to VA from South Carolina (where she sits in the garage of the house I'm trying to sell).

Tirerack.com has Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's raised white letter - only catch is you would have to settle for 255 60 15's vice 245.

That's what is going on my 78 when I finally get her up to VA from South Carolina (where she sits in the garage of the house I'm trying to sell).

You'll have to trim back the return flanges in both front and rear wheelhouses to run 255/60-15's, or you risk fiberglass damage. :)

No need for any body modifications running 255/60/15 T/A’s. I have been using them on my 1977 for the last 15+ years without a problem. As far as turning clearances and rubbing problems, there are none that I have experienced..
Brian

I just took a look at the Tire Rack website, www.tirerack.com, and they show the BFG 245/60x15 tires but they show an inventory status of BackOrder. (Items shown with an inventory status of "Back Order" are on order from the manufacturer and an approximate in-stock date has not yet been determined. If you select an item with "Back Order" status, we will contact you when more information is available (no more than once per month). Our online order tracking feature will include updates to the estimated in-stock date.)

They show only two others in that size, the Dunlop GT Qualifier T (with raised white letters) @ $78/each and the Yokohama AVID S/T (with outlined white letters) @ $68/each.

Also checked the Discount Tire site, www.discounttire.com, and they are showing the BFG TA Radial 245/60X15 as being in stock at $85/each.

tom...

No need for any body modifications running 255/60/15 T/A’s. I have been using them on my 1977 for the last 15+ years without a problem. As far as turning clearances and rubbing problems, there are none that I have experienced..
Brian
That's because your Front were Trimmed from the Factory!!!And yours has a Different Lower Front Fender and Quarters than a 70!!!:upthumbs

You'll have to trim back the return flanges in both front and rear wheelhouses to run 255/60-15's, or you risk fiberglass damage. :)
Both my Vettes have 255/60/15s with no scrubbing at all and no mod.s have been made.

Finally!

If anyone cares. 245/60/16 Dunlop GT Qualifer raised whites is the final decision. Perfect fit (within the wheel well) and a very nice tire to boot. Keep in mind this is for a 70' so the math is a little different from other models. Thanks to all for your imput, it was very helpful. And please forgive my rantings. I just may place these on the other 70' as BFG has conflicting stories as to whether they will make this tire size again in the raised whites.
Cj5nutz, how in the heck? That is the funniest pic for your car and tires.

And the Dunlops have a little more decent profile on the tire then the compleet offroad tire-profile the BF's have...

Groeten Peter.

Now im scared. My 70 has a set of BFG 245/60's.I guess i need to start the hunt for a new tire to keep as a spare just in case i damage a tire thats on the car.

Thanks John - I didn't know the differences between Mike's 70 and my 78.

Peer81, love the Netherlands. Lots of car guys over your way and they are not afraid to drive em'. My butt is still tired from all of the bicycle rides.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom