Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Here we go again!! Another Trim Tag

I wonder if this auction will end in the thousands as the other one did.

You know I was reading someplace that you can tell a tag has been off a car by the marks on the tags from the rivits spinning when they are drilled out. It seems this one has those spinning marks on it, I check both of my tags on my 66 and they appear to have never been off my car,

it was over on the ncrs board, the rivet spin marks come from [even carefully] drilling out the rivet posts that originally kept the subject trim tag in place on its first / original resting place; the rivet itself ends up spinning in the process - I think the poster even put up a shot of a "rivet spun" tag. so you have THAT issue with this ebay tag, and then the very hard to get just right rivet head "rosetting" when you go to install the damn thing, now even more so since the Greening / Sinor Trim Tag book came out . . . all I can say is, if I was buying some big bux '67 I would take my "faker detective" work to an even higher level than it is already at now

If you hold the backside of the rivet with a pair of needle-nosed pliers while you drill it out, it will keep the head from spinning. There are many junked cars which give up either their VIN tag or trim tag to make a nice Top Flight car. I will be selling the trim tag off of my 65, since it is going to be resto-rodded and adds no value to my car. If that tag can allow someone to have a 65 that has the color of body and interior that they allways wanted without destroying the value of their car, then that is fine by me! My yellow with black interior tag is not as desirable as a red/black 67 tag, but I am sure that someone is looking for one, and it is doing me no good.

Regards, John McGraw

And what if the tag does show evidence of being removed (rivet marks)?? I cant find it in my judging guide that the tag is to never have been removed. Many restorations include removal of the tags to repaint the crossbar in its correct shade of green + ext paint color. Now lets worry about how to restore around the tag :L , Please.........I would love to see how many top flite cars from the 80's and 90's would stack up to these guidelines!!

It would probably take a condition hit or maybe originality too if it was obviouse it had been off.

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
It would probably take a condition hit or maybe originality too if it was obviouse it had been off.

Tom
Checked my judging manual, no deduct for condition, bet that will change!!

As always I never think this stuff is worth this kind of money. The 63 trim tag I had from my GS roadster I built I gave to a guy that needed the red on black color compo. If my 66 was not so orig. I would pull the tag off and sell it. I never saved any trim tags. Won't do that again.

There's also a known correlation between trim tag body numbers and VIN numbers; pretty hard to dance around that one if all you change is the trim tag (from another car) and keep the original VIN plate in place.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom