Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Here's My Gold Titanium Painted ...Boy Did I Over Do It Rebuilding This Sucker..

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
Well ..After My Bad Experience with me damaging the steering box by torquing it the wrong way. I sent it to my friend Bill and had him repair it. When Bill opened the box up ..he found that the gears Fastcorvette put inside were junk. The sector and wormshaft gears were rusted and pitted and had been ground on removing the factory hardening. Trash.!

So there went some MO Money for new gears.... Now I got me lotts a big bucks in this sucker.

So I painted it Titanium Gold... Kinda to remind me I got more money in the steering box then the rest of the project.... :lol: :lol:

box006.jpg

I think I need to get a steering box for my 60.....where do you recommend getting one from? I saw an ad recently for Flaming River that they had gear boxes.....not sure if it is for a '60......but my front end has a good bit of play in it...at least when it comes to steering....how much does one cost roughly?

firstgear said:
I think I need to get a steering box for my 60.....where do you recommend getting one from? I saw an ad recently for Flaming River that they had gear boxes.....not sure if it is for a '60......but my front end has a good bit of play in it...at least when it comes to steering....how much does one cost roughly?

The ones for our C1's are a one peice design.You would have to have the entire set up rebuilt with the column attached.

Viet Nam Vett said:
Well ..After My Bad Experience with me damaging the steering box by torquing it the wrong way. I sent it to my friend Bill and had him repair it. When Bill opened the box up ..he found that the gears Fastcorvette put inside were junk. The sector and wormshaft gears were rusted and pitted and had been ground on removing the factory hardening. Trash.!

So there went some MO Money for new gears.... Now I got me lotts a big bucks in this sucker.

So I painted it Titanium Gold... Kinda to remind me I got more money in the steering box then the rest of the project.... :lol: :lol:

box006.jpg

Mark the steering box looks great,but those headers and aluminum heads look evern better, When do you put the body back on? are you also going to rebuild the steering column while its apart?

KEEP THE PHOTOS COMING

IH2LOSE said:
Mark the steering box looks great,but those headers and aluminum heads look evern better, When do you put the body back on? are you also going to rebuild the steering column while its apart?

KEEP THE PHOTOS COMING

Thanks....

The steering Column was rebuilt last summer so its ready to rock. As far as the body going back on goes...I'm in no hurry. I would say maybe in another month or so.. I'm having fun engineering all the gack back on the chassis.

I plan to have a body drop party when I'm ready. So we'll get a bunch of Forum Locals together to hang out.:beer

Viet Nam Vett said:
Thanks....

The steering Column was rebuilt last summer so its ready to rock. As far as the body going back on goes...I'm in no hurry. I would say maybe in another month or so.. I'm having fun engineering all the gack back on the chassis.

I plan to have a body drop party when I'm ready. So we'll get a bunch of Forum Locals together to hang out.:beer

Mark, when you are ready and if you want help with the drop let me know, i'm only about an hour and a half from you down in Delaware.

Mark, don't forget to have everyone sign those 'liability waivers' before you let them lift... :(

Sorry if I sound bitter. I just signed yet another round of waivers for my son's field trip. Schools are so afraid someone might sue them, they have waivers for climbing on the playground equipment which is covered with "use at own risk" notices... like the kids ever read that gack. What is this world coming to?

Nice looking steering box, by the way. I've never seen one any colour other than 'cast-blast' or natural.

-Mac

Mac said:
Mark, don't forget to have everyone sign those 'liability waivers' before you let them lift... :(

Sorry if I sound bitter. I just signed yet another round of waivers for my son's field trip. Schools are so afraid someone might sue them, they have waivers for climbing on the playground equipment which is covered with "use at own risk" notices... like the kids ever read that gack. What is this world coming to?

Nice looking steering box, by the way. I've never seen one any colour other than 'cast-blast' or natural.

-Mac

Yeah...I'll have them sign those waivers ..the ones for lifting the body and the ones for drinking beer...and eating chicken wings...and the one for flushing the toilet as well as the Pulling the Zipper up to fast after I drank to much waiver.

Crazy world ..Huh Mac??? Waviers...go figure..:L

BarryK said:
Mark, when you are ready and if you want help with the drop let me know, i'm only about an hour and a half from you down in Delaware.

Heh Barry,

Yeah Man....Come on up....!!! Well party. It will be done at the restorers shop
on a Saturday when he is Officially closed. That way he won't charge for shop time. Saturday is play day at his shop. Just keep watching the post's about the drop and give me a yell to remind me that you want to come. I'll let you know the date and time..Also anyone else who would like to come is welcome.:beer

Mark - looking good!! If you had to do the steering box all over again - what would you do? I have to redo mine - way too much slop - and would appreciate your 'expertise'.

Just got a Bend-Pak sissors lift - no more backaches while trying to buff the sides of the new paint job!!

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
Mark - looking good!! If you had to do the steering box all over again - what would you do? I have to redo mine - way too much slop - and would appreciate your 'expertise'.

Just got a Bend-Pak sissors lift - no more backaches while trying to buff the sides of the new paint job!!

Steve

Cool On the sissors lift...!!

Well all of the rebuilt boxes you see advertized for $150-$200 are rebuilt using your old wormshaft and sector gear. The only new parts you get are the balls seals bearings bushings etc.

Unless your their or really trust the rebuilder ...in regaurdes to seeing the condion of the worm shaft and sector gears I would say ..replace those parts also. You can by all the parts you need to rebild the box from Corvette Steering.

Of course you need to have the rebuild guide and a few tools to work on the box. But based on your experience with NSACR you should be able to rebuild it your self.:beer

Thanks Mark - as you say tools and some limited expertise are not the issue - looking for your experience and parts source. Thanks for the info. Put me on the list for the body drop. You do know how to throw a party!!

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
Thanks Mark - as you say tools and some limited expertise are not the issue - looking for your experience and parts source. Thanks for the info. Put me on the list for the body drop. You do know how to throw a party!!

Steve

Yeah Baby... your on...Just keep watching the forum for the date...:beer

4WDVETTE said:

Steve

Steve...

If you don't mind me asking what model of the Bend Pak scissors lift did you get? Thinking about getting one myself and want to make sure it will work for my Vette - for sure I don't want to drop the sucker!!! :cry

Thanks, Al

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom