Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hi All! Newbie Here.

Iroc2Vette

Corvette
2013 Z06 1LZ
I just wanted to intro myself. I came from rather humble beginnings. I sold my IROC-Z28 last year and used the proceeds toward the new 'Vette. When it hit 200Kmiles, and the restoration bill was running to over the $45K mark (including some upgrades), I decided it was time to move on. I bought it new in 1985 for the 1986 model year. The IROC was a great car to step up to a Corvette from. It was reasonably fast (it had a 1985 Gen 1 L98 TPI, 5 speed manual and lots of aftermarket upgrades). had terrific handling, etc. A real budget sports car.

After doing three years of research trying to determine what the IROC's replacement should be, I bit the financial bullet (big time!) and dealer ordered a 2013 Z06 1LZ. This car is like the old IROC on HUGE quantities of steroids!! A Ferrari in Chevy clothing, imo.

I've already put close to 10Kmi on the Z and I haven't even had it for a year yet! The car is absolutely addicting to drive. I've read all the critiques (even listened to what Jeremy Clarkston said about it on Top Gear) and I still still think it was the right decision. The car is a giant killer. As sedate and serene to drive just puttering about town as a Cadillac, yet, will try to suck the air out of one's lungs when the throttle is mashed at 4500 rpm in 3rd gear. Where the IROC would run out of steam, the Z feels like it just got fed with juice!! (NO2).

In the words of Ferris Bueller: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." :Steer

Welcome to CAC! Yes, they are addicting. And yes what you bought is light-years ahead of the IROC. I became addicted when I was 9 years old and had my first ride in a Corvette, a 63 SWC. Took me 10 years before I had my first one and then 30 years after that before I got back into them.

Enjoy the car, drive it. Post some pictures when you have time.:w

Welcome to CAC!!!!
Enjoy!!!:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the club....that was a huge step up.....put up some pics of both of them sometime....we love to see those pics.....:thumb

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you...I deeply appreciate the warm welcomes. Ok, here are some picts of the past and the present. It took me a bit of doing to figure out how this forum handles images. But, I think I've got the hang of it. What's neat is one can just upload thumbnails and they enlarge when clicked on.

FIRST PICTS: 1986 IROC-Z28. The most fun one can have on a budget. Was sold to a young engineer who is presently restoring it from the ground up.

IROC-Z 3:4 SIDE VIEW.jpgIROC PICT.jpgEngine.jpg

And now the new Corvette: The first pict is when it was in it's pre-delivery state. It'd just been dropped off the carrier the night before. I don't think Scagleitti, Pininfarina or Giugiaro could've done better with it's styling. For me, it's like having a American Ferrari.

DSC01469.jpgDSC01496.jpgDSC01509.jpgDSC01512.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01517.JPG
    DSC01517.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 82
One of my former students bought a white IROC, which he called it his "sleeper" Camaro. Looks just like the one you have there, very subtle. I like you Corvette as well, very understated, but can get the job done. :thumb

I looked at the final production numbers for 2013, and not many of these cars are wearing white paint. I think the total number for the 2012-2013 production run for the 10U white paint code was only 167. So if you see a white C6Z running around the north east coast, it might be me.

The only other color I would've liked was the Supersonic Blue. But, I got myself so deep in the borrowing hole, that I couldn't justify another $300 just for paint when it could be used to help pay off the loan a bit faster.

The few accessories I did get was a nice leather (the OE was vinyl) console cover with stitched cross flags, a cargo cover (Z06 logo, of course), a seat towel for the driver's seat and a much better license plate holder. I managed to get that very ugly OEM plate holder off the bumper w/o damaging the surface finish. Thanks to 3M's adhesive remover and a clay bar you'd never know there was a plate holder stuck on the bumper. And I also managed to get a fresh front air splitter for very cheap from Ebay as I can see my OE one will no doubt be sacrificed to curbs, speed bumps, etc. I've got a big nick in it already from I don't know what.

Mechanically, all I've done was pull the fuse for the NPP because the car is waaaaaay too quiet. And install a CAGS skip shift (after almost being rear ended by someone following too close).

It's also really nice to have the factory do all the hot rodding stuff for me. Now I can look through a Summit or Jegs catalog for entertainment, then throw it into the trash because the Z really has everything. All I need do is simply climb into it and push the green button and :rotfl !

I read the entire article about the development of the LS7 here in the CAC site. It's a amazing piece of engineering in it's simplicity of design and machining. To sort of 'bottom line' it, it seems the whole goal was to create a 4 valve head using the simpler and more compact 2 valve pushrod design. In fact, according to Motor Trend, the new C7's LT-1 is smaller than a BMW 4.4L V8 turbo making about the same power.

Also mentioned was how economical the LS7 is to own. The original ZL-1 racing version back in the 60's was equivalent to costing $35K in today's $. Where one can buy a LS7 crate engine for about $17K. The ZL-1 was rated at 560 bhp. According to the article, if the LS7 was rated by 1960's dyno standards, it'd be at 550 bhp. Considering the LS7 meets all federal and state (even CA's tough standards) emissions, 100K mile durability standards, VNH standards, and maintenance (like, except for changing the oil and filters now and then, is there any real maintenance needed?) along with meeting fuel eco requirements, it's a amazing piece of kit.

I've personally been getting well over 20 mpg!!! WITH A 427!! I remember as a kid knowing someone who had a late 60's 427 big block Corvette and all he ever saw was 8-10 mpg. And I don't think his Stingray was much heavier than my C6Z.

Last edited:
Nice! I had a 1985 white Z28. I really miss that car. What a blast to drive!

Nice! I had a 1985 white Z28. I really miss that car. What a blast to drive!

It was a terribly under appreciated car.

I remember a article in Car and Driver at the time yours was out. They were doing, 'Best Handling Car in America,' or something like that. The Z28 came in 2nd only to the Porsche 944, which cost about 2 1/2x more. Even the C4 /w Z51 option didn't make it. And it was a much more sophisticated car than the F-bodies.

It was also really a shame that GM allowed the reliability problems (I had many) to overshadow how well the Z28 and FB T/As were designed. It was THE most affordable V8 RWD sports car one could get at the time.

It was a terribly under appreciated car.

I remember a article in Car and Driver at the time yours was out. They were doing, 'Best Handling Car in America,' or something like that. The Z28 came in 2nd only to the Porsche 944, which cost about 2 1/2x more. Even the C4 /w Z51 option didn't make it. And it was a much more sophisticated car than the F-bodies.

It was also really a shame that GM allowed the reliability problems (I had many) to overshadow how well the Z28 and FB T/As were designed. It was THE most affordable V8 RWD sports car one could get at the time.

Totally agree. And once you start having problems with the TPI system, it seemed like a bitch to successfully diagnose/eliminate them.

Totally agree. And once you start having problems with the TPI system, it seemed like a bitch to successfully diagnose/eliminate them.

I bought the service manual and did a lot of the electrical stuff myself. Unless it was something tough to get to like the fuel pump. Unfortunately, I had to leave the mechanicals to others. Like with all the leaks (pitman, rear main, front timing cover, pinion seals and so on)

I just got the service manuals for the 'vette and have been reading them over. Man, how things have changed....like the keyless entry security system. Oh man, what a hugely complicated affair that is!!

Welcome Aboard. . . . . . Glad you found us.

:welcome, glad you've decided to join us.

=Bill :w

Thanks, Bill...Been learning a lot on this site. There's A LOT of good info here.

Thanks, Bill...Been learning a lot on this site. There's A LOT of good info here.

You'r welcome, there is a lot of good Vette loving folks here, the members and staff are second to none :thumb

-Bill :w

Welcome aboard!! Nice upgrade!!

Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom